6x3 tank lid ideas

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I am about to setup a 6x3 fiberglass tank. What are some good clear materials to look into for lids. The tank Will have some strong jumpers in it. Thank you

Reactions: tlindsey

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Lowes sells 4'/8' sheets of poltcarbonate for about $100. These are great for making lids. Light passes through, but not great to view through.

Reactions: M1A1

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Twin wall poly carb is available at most hardware stores… same/similiar type of material used for green houses. Its very rigid in the 1/4” thickness. Advantage of the twin wall over regular poly carb is it traps and retains heat better. Its also cheaper and lighter. I use milk jugs filled with water to weight down all my lids for jumpers also.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My fibreglass tank is about 6x4 and when I bought it I knew I needed a good strong canopy on it. I can get polycarbonate sheets from work, single and ply, but just throwing one large weighted sheet on top and calling it done didn't appeal to me one bit.

If you want to do something you have to move the whole thing, and that means the droplets of moisture on the underside would spill everywhere, nah, not for me I figured.

So I custom built a heavy duty wooden framed canopy with a large centre hole for a tri wall polycarb sheet, my light fitting sits on this, and six smaller holes around the edges for HDPE plastic panels to sit in.

The two front edge panels come out for feeding and maintenance, the rest has never moved since it was installed in 2019! I absolutely love this canopy.

IMG_20231223_155548_HDR.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store