75 gallon Oscar tank upgrade to 125

Grumpychainsaw

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2024
Hello all. Figured I would post here too. I have had a 75 gallon tank set up for the last year with my 10” Oscar and convict without issue. Just rescued a few year old Oscar that’s only 7” long, stunted growth from previous owner. The two Oscar’s get along fine but decided I need to upgrade to a 125 now. What’s everyone’s thoughts on adding some more tank mates into the 125? I know two Oscar’s have a heavy bioload themselves but since the one Oscar is small, hoping this would leave some room for some other new tank mates . Thanks in advance!

IMG_1003.jpeg

IMG_1226.jpeg

Reactions: ken31cay

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Serious oscar keepers would argue that your upgrade from your 75 to your 125 is good for your big oscar only!!!

You have a rescue oscar on top of that, plus your convict too!!

Other fish? NO! Just leave as a trio now you've already got them.

Grumpychainsaw

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2024
Sounds like most agree on keeping the current stocking. I’m running a single fx4 on my 75. Will most likely pick up another and run dual fx4s for the 125. Other option is to try and sell what I got and get dual fx6s. I like the idea of a sump on new tank but have only ever used canisters.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Sounds like most agree on keeping the current stocking. I’m running a single fx4 on my 75. Will most likely pick up another and run dual fx4s for the 125. Other option is to try and sell what I got and get dual fx6s. I like the idea of a sump on new tank but have only ever used canisters.
I would worry less about over filtration and just make sure your maintenance schedule is adequate.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Serious oscar keepers would argue that your upgrade from your 75 to your 125 is good for your big oscar only!!!

You have a rescue oscar on top of that, plus your convict too!!

Other fish? NO! Just leave as a trio now you've already got them.
What he said. Most Oscar keepers here would say bare minimum tank size for your fish is around 300 gallons. I know it sounds like a lot for just 3 fish, but Oscars can get huge with proper care and tank sizes and become quite impressive fish.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Sounds like most agree on keeping the current stocking....
To clarify...everyone so far agrees that you are already overstocked, even for a 125, and that the situation will worsen as time passes and your fish continue to grow.

Please...no more talk of adding more fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store