8x3x2 sump question.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Look at that basic diagram I did. If that was your constant running level, and then all of a sudden the pump went off, look at how much space there is for your run off from your display tank to go into before the sump actually overflows! There's quite a bit of space there.

Once your pump goes off it doesn't really take that long for your display tank to completely "level off" with the tank outlet, and then the flow into your sump will stop. Your 135g sump is quite big and should take the extra run off comfortably.

I think the problem with overflowing sumps comes from a very large tank running with a sump that is wayyyyy too small. That is the danger.

You'll have to play around and find out what works for you. Once you get used to it you'll literally be grinning from ear to ear. Sumps really are a magnificent method of filtration.
Ok sweet!! Now I just need to figure out what pump and GPH too use. That's my only last concern and I'm comfortable with getting it all going! I know there's a breakdown for this. I have holes drilled at 2.5 inches so I guess it would fit a 1.5 bulkhead. I'm not well versed on pumps

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I think the problem with overflowing sumps comes from a very large tank running with a sump that is wayyyyy too small. That is the danger.

You'll have to play around and find out what works for you. Once you get used to it you'll literally be grinning from ear to ear. Sumps really are a magnificent method of filtration.
That is correct, there is a much smaller margin of error with my 180gal system (29gal sump) than with my larger tanks.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm not well versed on pumps
Your head will literally spin when you start looking at pumps, there are that many.

Below is the one I use. I bought two of these in 2019, one for the tank and one as a spare just in case. The one pictured is my spare, still boxed up and sealed!!

The one I've been using in my set up has run flawlessly since June 2019.

The best thing about it is that it has 10 speed settings. Variable speed pumps are a must imo.

That particular model comes in different sizes. You may need a slightly more powerful model as your system is bigger than my 400g set up.
IMG_20240312_173318_HDR.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That is correct, there is a much smaller margin of error with my 180gal system (29gal sump) than with my larger tanks.
Yes, but even with a smallish sump you can still make it work perfectly well, though admittedly you need to be fully in sync with your system.

I think a good canopy is essential with sumps, especially running high temps on a huge tank. Evaporation would really play havoc with an undersized sump in that scenario.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Your head will literally spin when you start looking at pumps, there are that many.

Below is the one I use. I bought two of these in 2019, one for the tank and one as a spare just in case. The one pictured is my spare, still boxed up and sealed!!

The one I've been using in my set up has run flawlessly since June 2019.

The best thing about it is that it has 10 speed settings. Variable speed pumps are a must imo.

That particular model comes in different sizes. You may need a slightly more powerful model as your system is bigger than my 400g set up.
View attachment 1537462
It's been spinning for a little while now 😂ok I was definitely going to go with a variable speed so I can dial it as I need to get the water inlet and outlet at the same rate...i.figired I would need around 2000 GPH or so

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
It's been spinning for a little while now 😂ok I was definitely going to go with a variable speed so I can dial it as I need to get the water inlet and outlet at the same rate...i.figired I would need around 2000 GPH or so
All good information in the posts above.
I use Ecotech Vectra L2 pumps which are 3100gph but you can set the variable speed from your phone app or computer. I use one of these in my 8'x3'x2.5' tank running at ~65% and am set to use 2 of them in my 750gal. They're a little more expensive but IMO worth it if you make use of their features.

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
All good information in the posts above.
I use Ecotech Vectra L2 pumps which are 3100gph but you can set the variable speed from your phone app or computer. I use one of these in my 8'x3'x2.5' tank running at ~65% and am set to use 2 of them in my 750gal. They're a little more expensive but IMO worth it if you make use of their features.
What size is your sump?/ pipping

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
650gal with 180gal sump.
450gal with 100gal sump.
Bulkheads, pipes and hoses for both are all 1".

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
650gal with 180gal sump.
450gal with 100gal sump.
Bulkheads, pipes and hoses for both are all 1".
I made a typo in my above post; it is a 750gal not 650gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store