a few reptile Q's

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
nativelover said:
oh, i wasnt catching them, a petstor down the street gets them ineveryonce in awhile and he sells them for like $4 a piece, and their like 6 inches long. and their green, idk if there differ types but these ones are green and i think have a brownish bottom. i think.
Knight anoles get bigger and run $20-30 ea., Cubans get 20" long and cost $40-60. Greens are the common ones and run wild from Fla. to La. What kindof snake you got?

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
i think western, but its a hognose. only about 10" . i found him at my pond...btw , whats the max size on thses? like 30", isnt it? but i gave it a baby fence lizerd i found half drown in my pool, and he ate it. but it was only like 3" w/ tail.

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
Oh you bastard -

Hognoses are the coolest snakes. I used to have two. I sold 'em. If I ever get back into snakes I'll probably be getting some more. Must be nice to just find 'em outside.

30" max is probably about right. I'd try to get it to eat rodents as it would be a DAMN lot more cost effective in the long run, but I've heard wild ones can be hard to convert.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
In wilr hognose will eat large insacts, frogs lizards, smaller snakes, birds, eggs, salamanders, rodents, and even fish. They get 30-36" long and very heavy bodied. In Va. I had one about 24" and it was very fond of frogs and bullfrog tadpoles, I released it when we moved.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
ok

what needs to be answered ?
lol
sorry

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
guppy said:
In wilr hognose will eat large insacts, frogs lizards, smaller snakes, birds, eggs, salamanders, rodents, and even fish. They get 30-36" long and very heavy bodied. In Va. I had one about 24" and it was very fond of frogs and bullfrog tadpoles, I released it when we moved.
You lived in VA?...

sorry to detrail.:)

Tucc185

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
www.reef2rainforest.com
Okay, as to the last question about redear & matamata, I would say an unequivocal no. Mata's really need shallow, calm water, with nothing else to frighten them. also, little redears would like nothing better than to bite off every delicate tassel and sensory appendage on the face and neck of the mata. They are definitely best kept alone.

pete620

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Ohio
nativelover said:
i think western, but its a hognose. only about 10" . i found him at my pond...btw , whats the max size on thses? like 30", isnt it? but i gave it a baby fence lizerd i found half drown in my pool, and he ate it. but it was only like 3" w/ tail.

Almost all anole, especially those sold in pet shops, are wild caught. You not only have to be cautious of external parisites, but also internal ones. If you do live in VA then you hognose is probably an eastern, which have a very specialized diet not normaly including lizards. Finally, since you FOUND this WILD snake you should PUT IT BACK! It is partly because of people capturing wild reptiles that that are declining so quickly in their natural habitats. The hognose is part of a natural balance that you are so carelesly disrupting by making it your captive. Captive bred western hognose snakes are available at most reptile shows and online for $40.00 or less. Weasterns readily feed on pinky mice, and most importatnly they are captive bred!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
iheartfishies said:
You lived in VA?...

sorry to detrail.:)
Ft. Eustice, Va.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store