A guideline for appropriate timber for panaque?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
IE: does bamboo count as wood for panaque?
Specifically clown pleco, Panaqolus maccus L104 (I think...)
I've bought a very small/young one, a favourite in University but the first i've seen imported in 25yrs... so I spent way too much $.

Growing-out in the established previously cardinal tetra (breeding?) 15gal tank, which is bare-glass bottom but for a whole lot of bamboo leaves & segments/tubes & a few almond leaves, all with bacterial films & various wee beasties, from bloodworms to bladder snails to ostracods to little FW clams, and one or two struggling plant segments (it's under-lit & on the blackwater side). Good flow via a little DC wave-maker'y thing across the surface.

Is bamboo adequate or do I need to add another wood? If so,
would hardwood or softwoods be preferred?
Coconut shell? Or is that too hard?
And certainly a wood without "chemistry" - no cedar nor ficus, for examples.

Tell me about the frozen peas, zucchini or so? To this, how about avacado or banana/banana peel, as imported veg is a costly PITA?
Or is it a case of "give it a go, keep us posted"? ... with filtration & water changes, maybe a mystery snail (or several) as clean-up until results start coming in.

And now, it's been two weeks & said wee pleco seems to have cleaned-up the tube-nymphs & bloodworms as I'm not seeing them anymore... so it goes, they'll be back.

Thanks,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store