A new start for my main tank?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
:) I am not following?
This is strictly my own interpretation, but I believe that TB is suggesting that my musings and meanderings were not the result of only a single Guinness...:)

Goldies need love too. Now give them real names!

View attachment 1536237
Goldfish have graduated in my estimation from non-entities to interesting, attractive and generally pleasant aquarium inhabitants. I'd even grudgingly admit that I like 'em; they make for a really nice tank to sit in front of and relax....

...but...

TBTB keeps posting pics of those cool Largemouths, which have long been a favourite of mine...and the more I read about Chinese Wels, the more I am coming to like them...and the mystic siren call of the Goonch is always keening in the distance...and of course Lumpy the Jelly Cat continues to lurk in the shadows...and...well, you get the idea.

At this point, the Goldies still have a fair chance of being named Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, so for the time being I will probably maintain some emotional distance from them. It's better that way, in case their fortunes...change for the worse. :)

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
This is strictly my own interpretation, but I believe that TB is suggesting that my musings and meanderings were not the result of only a single Guinness...:)

Yes Sir. I've enjoyed several Guinness in my time and each of them were awesome but a single serving could never have produced that wall of words!

All bets are off on the last one though.

...and if you've ever thought you might like to take a crack at brewing a batch of Guinness a fine gentleman by the name of Charlie Papazian(sp) has a recipe for what he calls Toad Spit Stout. Strikingly tasty although it's missing that slight unusual aftertaste that seems a little like it might be off but not by much.

It used to be worth the hassle. Maybe less so now as I prefer to be a little more slovenly than brewing and bottling allow.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Fixed it for you.

1.That Goldfish (Nugget)
2. That Other Goldfish (Dat)
3. This Goldfish Here (Dis) they would be Dis and Dat
4. This Other One (Outlander)
5. The Smallest One (Atom Ant)
6. The Second Smallest One (Twopiece)
7. The Big-Ass One (Fatback)
8. The Fat One (Gordo)
9. The Really Fat One (Butterball)

19. 20. 21. These Other Guys (Tom, Dick, Harry)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Man, I hope that measuring tape is a couple feet behind the spider...

If that thing actually has a legspan in the 4-inch range, that would probably keep me out of the fishroom, let alone my wife. :)
She didn't like my attitude, and snuck down and got me.
My Dutch neighbors, named her Jackie.
IMG_1133.jpeg

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...and if you've ever thought you might like to take a crack at brewing a batch of Guinness a fine gentleman by the name of Charlie Papazian(sp) has a recipe for what he calls Toad Spit Stout. Strikingly tasty although it's missing that slight unusual aftertaste that seems a little like it might be off but not by much.

It used to be worth the hassle. Maybe less so now as I prefer to be a little more slovenly than brewing and bottling allow.
I've occasionally toyed with the idea of making my own beer; still might give it a go now that I am retired and have lots of time. But I have a good friend who not only makes it and provides me with all I need, but more importantly he loves the process and is always experimenting with new and interesting recipes. Many I find undrinkable, but there are several he makes that put virtually any commercial beer to shame. His Milk Stout and Oatmeal Stout are amazing, with a flavour that matches or exceeds my favourite Guinness; his only downfall is the inability to use those cool little carbonating inserts that fizz up each bottle as it is opened. Even without those, the head on his Stouts can practically be eaten with a spoon. Incredible beer! When you take a sip of beer and end up with what looks like a "mild moustache", you know you're onto something special!

He also makes a terrific Fat Tire, and labels the bottles he puts up for me Fat'n'Tired. :)

I won't live long enough to match his craftsmanship, so...why try? My innate thriftiness will force me to drink up anything I make...so odds are that I will be drinking absolute crap instead of my buddy's heavenly brews. No thanks.

Fixed it for you.

1.That Goldfish (Nugget)
2. That Other Goldfish (Dat)
3. This Goldfish Here (Dis) they would be Dis and Dat
4. This Other One (Outlander)
5. The Smallest One (Atom Ant)
6. The Second Smallest One (Twopiece)
7. The Big-Ass One (Fatback)
8. The Fat One (Gordo)
9. The Really Fat One (Butterball)

19. 20. 21. These Other Guys (Tom, Dick, Harry)
Sure, easy for you to say...but even you with your penchant and skill for naming fish petered out after #9 and skipped right ahead to the end!

For the record: I love Dis and Dat, and would add The Udder Ting to make it a trio. My Dad would have loved that!

Maybe I will rely upon my granddaughters after all to provide names. The older (10) came up with the name We Are Groot for a bunch of indistinguishable baby leeches spawned in one of my tanks. This was in response to a friend who pegged my then-gigantic school of Rosy Reds, probably numbering well over 2000 at that point, with the moniker The Borg.

I am going to suggest a similar sort of "group name" and see what she comes up with. She never fails to amuse and surprise, so this should be good. :)

She didn't like my attitude, and snuck down and got me.
My Dutch neighbors, named her Jackie.
View attachment 1536251
Wow! I hadn't realized that you left that gigantic critter hanging in place after taking its pic!

I couldn't do that. After snapping the pic I would have caught it and relocated to a far-distant location, at least giving it a chance to survive.

If my wife found a spider the size of an emaciated hamster anywhere near or...heaven forbid... inside the house...I'd be patching a shotgun-blast-sized round hole in a wall or ceiling. :)

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I was in the process of relocating it when it sped down the broom handle and got me.
The skin has been regularly peeling off the area ever since.
Did the "re-location" immediately become a "termination with extreme prejudice"? :) I know it would have if I were involved. Live and let live only goes so far.

I'm looking at the scale of that pic, the size and spacing of the fang marks compared to the size of the hand. Unless you have hands like those of a Ken doll...that is (was) one big-assed spider! That bite looks more like it came from a small vampire!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Did the "re-location" immediately become a "termination with extreme prejudice"? :) I know it would have if I were involved. Live and let live only goes so far.

I'm looking at the scale of that pic, the size and spacing of the fang marks compared to the size of the hand. Unless you have hands like those of a Ken doll...that is (was) one big-assed spider! That bite looks more like it came from a small vampire!
Cant speak for duanes but i also practice relocation with spiders. My garage is infested with widows and recluse among others, so if i find one in the house i move it to the back fence and release it, usually say a few words to wish them well. I consider it a truce of sorts, i allow them to live and in theory they eviscerate pretty much any other pest that inhabits the walls, floorboards, crawlspaces. So, since ive moved in 8 years ago ive seen many venomous spiders, but not one ant, roach, mouse, cricket.

I dont find spiders annoying, destructive, dirty or scary in general. I love to see them in my garden carrying off grubs and aphids. Long story short, im cool with spiders.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
No prejudice, they are consummate mosquito eaters, and a spider bite is minor compared to what those pesky Sqeeters carry here.
But those golden orb spiders are also wimpy compared to some of the other simple pain inducing critoers here in Paradiseb51f755f-8ab8-4720-a8a8-a45cd9ce8aef.jpegIMG_6933.jpegIMG_0734.jpeg
The worse one yet, was stepping on a sing ray in knee deep water.

IMG_0504.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store