A pair of ~10" banded leporinus in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Here is a video of a couple of rescued banded leporinus, which I have had for 1 year and for 1.5 years. I gathered they were a few years old, one was kept in a glistening 30 gal tank on a kitchen counter top and the other in a murky outside 200 gal pond. I got them at about 7"-8" and placed them in 4500 gal and they grew some, perhaps reaching ~10" currently.

They fought at first a little (for a day or two) to figure out who is who but the damage was pretty mild, some scales went flying, and never since have I seen this. They have been the most intact and completely damage-free fish in my very populated 4500 gal, which says a lot - no one touches them or those that want to can't catch them... and in all likelihood they do touch others as evidenced by nipped fins but being sneaky they appear to do so by night when we are not around...

They occur in large shoals in the wild, so it is not surprising that when one keeps a few of them, they enforce an hierarchy more rigorously and don't shoal as much (mine do swim in a relative proximity often though) and most regrettably they become fin nippers in a fashion that appears similar (to my ignorant and learning mind) to the behavior of many tetras and Co - fish lacking the comfort of a school of their kin turn into fin-nipping jerks.

It's my working hypothesis anyway. Feel free to argue pro or con.

Lone leporinus appear to indeed behave as smart jerks with some people, for example, reporting that they nip even the most threatening and aggressive fish like Hemibagrus wyckii and wyckioides in a 100-200 gal tank because the latter can't catch them to retaliate or to eat them. They are lighting fast and their vision is superb and apparently they do not sleep because otherwise they'd not survive. They'd not survive in my tank either if they slept, I reckon, because being so slim they'd fit in a mouth of many of their carnivorous tank mates. Plus I always leave a night light on.

As for their feeding habits, they are very nondiscriminatory, as described in literature. They are also smart and inquisitive albeit they do not care for who their owner and feeder is, IME anyway.

They are the smallest fish (as judged by their "swallowability") in the 4500 gal but the most relaxed and always intact, not a tiniest split in their finnage, that, counter-intuitively, it appears as if they are the bosses of the tank...

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
They sure can be jerks. Nice write up as always. They look good. Sure are fast lol

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
They only seem to turn insane when kept alone,they seem to target catfish and similar when alone.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They only seem to turn insane when kept alone,they seem to target catfish and similar when alone.
Really? That's interesting to know because my thoughts were largely suppositions but this confirms them. How may cases have you come across? Can you describe them?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Are you saying raised alone? Cause if the fish is alone how would another fish such as acatfish be present? However this is the case with many semi-aggressive to aggressive fish, when they're raised alone they almost never learn to tolerate others. When I had my leporinus I got him large probably 10", kept him for atleast two years, never kept it alone and it was a jerk but it wasn't the boss by any means, kept it with various cichlids, catfish, gobies, and a wolffish. Any ways, my point being it could make sense. But they're known for being fin nippers. I got rid of mine cause I got into bichirs.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Sorry I meant not with its own species.

Really? That's interesting to know because my thoughts were largely suppositions but this confirms them. How may cases have you come across? Can you describe them?
I know of about 4 cases of lone Leperorinuses harassing tankmates,two involve them attacking fish like synodontis,1involved a giraffe catfish (if I recall right),and another involved the fish wrecking havoc in a community tank with oscars and jack Dempsey,all attacks involved damages primarily to the fins and area surrounding fins,plus one fish(a jack Dempsey if I remember correctly)lost an eye.
However people I spoke to who had multiple"banded sharks"(as they r sometimes called) have described them as peaceful , one of these aggressive leporinuses was returned to the store when it was 15 inches long.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I kept a single in my 500g, no problems, only nipped fins when other fish entered it personal zone. I subsequently added another 3, they school nicely together, all in the 10" region, no problems at all.
I've found they like turning the substrate over, enjoy snails, worms, and vegetables, mostly spinach & broccoli. Really cool fish, may well add another 2-3 in the future.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
They love vegetable matter for sure, I bought some plants for a small fish to feel secure back when I had mine he ate them all in a few days

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store