Aba Aba Knifefish Questions!

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Recently i heard the memeber Aw3s0m3 on here talking about how aggressive they were and he got me interested! So, i was wondering about your guys experience with them and your overall thoughts! (I could not find very good info on google...)
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
They are best kept alone. They are not "finger chasing" aggressive like a Rhom, rather they are unassuming and like to hide but become fiercely territorial. Mine will take food from my hand. They are very fragile when small but at around 18" in length they become very sturdy. I'm sure other members will have a lot to add. I have had one since June 2010.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Haha I'm glad you're doing research on them. Since I'm the one that got you interested, I'll just tell you about the one I have right now. Since it's still small, about 12-14", it isn't very aggressive so it's housed with 3 Hydrolycus scomberoides. It actually gets beat up by them sometimes but at night, its a different story. I see it chase them and occasionally nip at them but nothing too serious. When it comes to feeders though, I will feed it first so that the payara's can get them but any that aren't eating, the aba goes around and will bite them in half, but won't eat them. One morning, I guess none of the scombs didn't feel like eatin, all the feeders were floating around dead, some were bit in half, others were torn to shreds, it was a straight up murder scene. Also, whenever I do a wc, it attacks the hose over and over again. It killed a common pleco that wandered into its hiding spot and it will sometimes attack my hand when I'm doing something in the tank. Luckily its small so it doesn't do much damage to my hand.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Haha I'm glad you're doing research on them. Since I'm the one that got you interested, I'll just tell you about the one I have right now. Since it's still small, about 12-14", it isn't very aggressive so it's housed with 3 Hydrolycus scomberoides. It actually gets beat up by them sometimes but at night, its a different story. I see it chase them and occasionally nip at them but nothing too serious. When it comes to feeders though, I will feed it first so that the payara's can get them but any that aren't eating, the aba goes around and will bite them in half, but won't eat them. One morning, I guess none of the scombs didn't feel like eatin, all the feeders were floating around dead, some were bit in half, others were torn to shreds, it was a straight up murder scene. Also, whenever I do a wc, it attacks the hose over and over again. It killed a common pleco that wandered into its hiding spot and it will sometimes attack my hand when I'm doing something in the tank. Luckily its small so it doesn't do much damage to my hand.

I assume abas have teeth? Sounds like a true beast! I wish i had another huge tank to house one but i am currently what i like to call "tanked out" :)

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
I assume abas have teeth? Sounds like a true beast! I wish i had another huge tank to house one but i am currently what i like to call "tanked out" :)

The pic does not belong to me. They have flat but very sharp teeth.

untitled.png

untitled.png

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Extremely aggressive. Extremely sharp teeth. Mine went well with an arowana. Around 36" in a big pond. Till i found my arowana without a belly one day. Then took down a 2 foot clown knife. I was pretty sure my pond then was big enough, but he proved me wrong.

I would advise against hand feeding these at huge sizes, i believe they can seriously hurt you. They could kill ducklings.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Extremely aggressive. Extremely sharp teeth. Mine went well with an arowana. Around 36" in a big pond. Till i found my arowana without a belly one day. Then took down a 2 foot clown knife. I was pretty sure my pond then was big enough, but he proved me wrong.

I would advise against hand feeding these at huge sizes, i believe they can seriously hurt you. They could kill ducklings.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
How long did it take to reach 36 inches?

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
I cannot speak for the other poster, but I got mine as a baby almost 4 years ago (June of 2010) and it is about 27 inches now.

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
Also, for the first year, mine grew a little more than one inch per month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store