Aba abas

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Something happened to the original thread.. maybe forum had technical difficulties ^^

I think the gist was that aba abas are mean fish that can be fed beeheart, among other foods

One guy witnessed an aba aba eat both eyes out of an arrowana, and both fish had been raised together as juvies. Another 20" aba aba in a 180g killed off an electric catfish, among other victims...

any other experiences?

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
had one died enxt day no reason at all like 4 or 5 inch i hear they fragil when little

waterlife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
California
They are fragile until around 6 to 7". They are extrremely aggressive. I know of only one that was over 36" long that could be kept successfully with another fish. It was with a redtail catfish that was the same size. They got along very well together. Some of you from the Bay Area know what I am talking about. Oakland, CA. Connies Pet's

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
i can get you a big 12 inch or more one if intreste dlocal tiny lfs has one he also had a mudpuppy thats got to be 13 inchs

krielikieli

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Hi,

I had one years ago. It was only about 6" when I got it.
I didn't know it's a predator. My community fish started disappearing. :wall:

Then I moved it on it's own until it reached about 10-15". I put it with an asian aro of 20" in a much bigger tank coz it's tank got too small. It got aggressive and attack my aro. So I moved it again until it reached about 20" on it's own.

At that size when I put my hand in the tank it would attack any time. :headbang2 Then I went to study overseas, my dad gave it away to my cousin. He put it in a pond. Last thing I know it grew to about 2.5 foot and he gave it away and died... :cry:

It's a cool fish. Something different...But you need a tank of it's own and they grow huge. Not many people can afford a big tank just for 1 fish.

fire999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
Singapore / Toronto
I have an Aba-Aba that is about close to 15 inches now. It is definately an agressive fish that marks its territory with might.

As for tearing up flesh or eyes, they have the capability that evolution have taken them thus far. Extremely carnivorous creatures with a huge appetite for anything smaller than them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store