About Venting sexing male female

root

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
singapore
nice and informative thread!

anyway to tell from the vents from side view? don't really wish to net them at the moment, but i've 2 Kels which have their tubes drop a little now and then...

Sik.10a

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2010
OZ
Need a sticky icky! Too much guessing goin on, I can guess but I wanna know- it's touch & go, some r easier to sex than others, I have 7 monos, I know 2 r definite males from the hump, but the venting thing works if u no wat to look for, this thread is a good help but we can do better for our sexless cichla that have not bred yet, I think.
Great thread still- jus a bit inconclusive so far.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
root;5045345; said:
nice and informative thread!

anyway to tell from the vents from side view? don't really wish to net them at the moment, but i've 2 Kels which have their tubes drop a little now and then...

see how the first anal fin goes up more than the 2nd ones...thats how u can tell between male and female by anal fin...u can also tell a male from female by the male has a pointier anal fin but thats not always obvious.....problem is i forgot which one was which:(...x tank should know learned it from him...actually just looked back on old pm's and the male has the fuller anal fin at 150 degrees...while the female has the smaller fin 120 degrees....so the first one is a male and the 2nd a female......

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
troutking;5147388; said:
see how the first anal fin goes up more than the 2nd ones...thats how u can tell between male and female by anal fin...u can also tell a male from female by the male has a pointier anal fin but thats not always obvious.....problem is i forgot which one was which:(...x tank should know learned it from him...actually just looked back on old pm's and the male has the fuller anal fin at 150 degrees...while the female has the smaller fin 120 degrees....so the first one is a male and the 2nd a female......
uno wat scratch that i dont know which one is which...just ask X tank;)

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
I think the anal thing isn't consistent. My two obvious male kelberi have different anal fins. i'll try and take pix later if i remember to.

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
I'd like to see this thread go further... Still too inconclusive with loads of vent photo's...but with a lot of guesses to what it is... I think this thread has the potential to be more helpful though. I think a lot of cichla owners would love to be able to sex their current stock with some Confidence...After reading through this and looking through all the photos, I feel there is still not enough concrete examples and too much guessing going on. I think this thread is on the right track though with the exception of taking photos of vents and trying to sex non-confirmed cichla (guessing game). I think that those of you with already confirmed sexed cichla (mated pairs, etc.) and know without a doubt what the sex is to begin with should post more concrete examples of male vs female vent photos. Like if anyone has a confirmed pair of Kels, post a clear photo of the male and the female. If someone has a confirmed pair of Orinos do the same and so on... This way it leaves the guessing out of it and the information is true and concrete. I'm thinking of pulling my cichla here soon to see if I can sex them or at least take clear photos of their vents to determine what I have for sure. I don't feel confident I can do this based of this thread or other online available information that's out there right now. It'd be a slam dunk if we could throw up some more already sex-confirmed vent photos by species though...

I'm afraid to post the vent photos I take of my cichla on this thread because again their all "non-confirmed" and it would only start another guessing game I believe...

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Up for the people that wants to know....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store