Adding a sump

Grumpychainsaw

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2024
Recently picked up a 125 gallon tank. Wondering what’s everyone’s thoughts on the benefits of adding a 50 gallon sump for the extra water volume vs running canister filters? Not concerned about drilling tank or sump instal. Just trying to see if people think the extra water volume is worth the effort. Thanks all.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I switched from cans to sumps in the late 80s, and would never return to cans.
On my current 160 gal tank, I use a 125 gal tank as a planed sump.
My water parameters using this type sump are .......
IMG_2021.jpeg IMG_2020.jpeg IMG_4753.jpeg
This sump has been set up in this way for at least 3 years.
Ammonia left, next to it nitrite, right pic is nitrate
Below a test done bout year ago.
IMG_0234.jpeg
The sump below
IMG_4083.jpeg

Last edited:

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well, of course 175 gallon capacity is better than 125. You won't actually gain that much, but no matter how you set it up it is a significant increase and that's always a good thing.

But that's not the main benefit of a sump, IMHO, although it's a very real one. The ease of access for cleaning and maintenance or modification is the biggie, along with the greater volume of media, the chance to relocate heaters and other hardware out of the main tank, potential refugium space for livestock that isn't working out in the community, easy creation of mature biomedia (sponge or others) for starting off other tanks with an "instant cycle", probably others I can't think of offhand. A sump has far less plumbing that is pressurized; it's mostly gravity-fed, so much less likelihood of leaks.

How long does it take you to clean the mech media in a canister? How often do you typically do it?

In my biggest sump I can swap out the first stage of my mechanical filtration in under 60 seconds, taking my time and being careful not to spill a drop of water; I do it almost every day. I can swap out all the mechanical filtration in maybe 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Grumpychainsaw

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2024
I switched from cans to sumps in the late 80s, and would never return to cans.
On my current 160 gal tank, I use a 125 gal tank as a planed sump.
My water parameters using this type sump are .......
View attachment 1539593 View attachment 1539594 View attachment 1539595
This sump has been set up in this way for at least 3 years.
Ammonia left, next to it nitrite, right pic is nitrate
Below a tee done bout year ago.
View attachment 1539596
The sump below
View attachment 1539597
Wow impressive

Grumpychainsaw

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2024
I agree the fx series canisters are a hassle at best to clean which leads to them not being maintained as often as they should. Seems like once the sumps are dialed in it’s the clear winner.
1- extra volume
2- easier to maintain
3- customizable filtration

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Recently picked up a 125 gallon tank. Wondering what’s everyone’s thoughts on the benefits of adding a 50 gallon sump for the extra water volume vs running canister filters? Not concerned about drilling tank or sump instal. Just trying to see if people think the extra water volume is worth the effort. Thanks all.
1000% sump I used 4 FX6 for a long time and couldn't agree more you get lazy with the cleaning due too the hassle of breaking them all down. I said screw it and switched too a custom 135 gallon sump I made for my 400 gallon and boy will I never ever go back too cans.

1000008115.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Well, of course 175 gallon capacity is better than 125. You won't actually gain that much, but no matter how you set it up it is a significant increase and that's always a good thing.

A sump has far less plumbing that is pressurized; it's mostly gravity-fed, so much less likelihood of leaks.

How long does it take you to clean the mech media in a canister? How often do you typically do it?

In my biggest sump I can swap out the first stage of my mechanical filtration in under 60 seconds, taking my time and being careful not to spill a drop of water; I do it almost every day. I can swap out all the mechanical filtration in maybe 5 minutes.
I also want ease of access and maintenance.
And is why I "don't" stuff the sump, and its plumbing into a cramped cabinet below, where I'd need to contort, to wrangle with non-user friendly placed gear.
With an open surface area, everything is easy to access, just standing next to sump, and reaching in without bending
(an important facet for an old codger like me),
No O-rings, few moving parts, or cheap plastic pieces to lose, or to fall apart after 2 or 3 turns.
To emphasize my point, the thread below

And because I like "tall terrestrial" plants growing above the waters surface, the open area above, offers lots of room for that extended growth .
IMG_8210.jpegIMG_5763.jpeg
A slight down side , is predators have easy access to dine on the sumps resident shrimp, at their leisure.
IMG_2047.jpeg

But another up side is ease of water changes, to change 100 gallons or more, in a few moments, I add (friction fit) a length of PVC to the sump inflow, and instead of flowing to the sump, old water, (instead), goes to the garden.
IMG_3393.jpegIMG_3394.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store