Adding Ctenopoma (Leopard Bush Fish)

TheNewBreed83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2018
Afternoon all,

I hope you're all doing well and staying safe?

I've been trying to find some information online, but with no success, so I'm hoping someone here may be able to help.

I have a pair of roughly three year old Ctenopoma at the moment, and my local fish shop has a single adult Ctenopoma currently.
It was part of a pair and only one sold, so has been alone in its tank for months.

I was wondering if i would be able to safely add it to my existing two, or whether that would cause aggression issues.

Thanks in advance.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The Ctenopoma acutirastre is one of my favorite mini monsters.I have kept them alone as well as in small groups over the years with minimal aggression issues.

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

TheNewBreed83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2018
The Ctenopoma acutirastre is one of my favorite mini monsters.I have kept them alone as well as in small groups over the years with minimal aggression issues.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if there would be issues adding a newcomer later. My two don't seem territorial, but I wanted to make sure that adding another of the same species wouldn't create a problem.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks, I wasn't sure if there would be issues adding a newcomer later. My two don't seem territorial, but I wanted to make sure that adding another of the same species wouldn't create a problem.
I don't recall them being territorial,they seem to enjoy wandering about and patrolling the tank.Hopefully things go well if you get that other one.

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Afternoon all,

I hope you're all doing well and staying safe?

I've been trying to find some information online, but with no success, so I'm hoping someone here may be able to help.

I have a pair of roughly three year old Ctenopoma at the moment, and my local fish shop has a single adult Ctenopoma currently.
It was part of a pair and only one sold, so has been alone in its tank for months.

I was wondering if i would be able to safely add it to my existing two, or whether that would cause aggression issues.

Thanks in advance.
If other fishes are over 8 cm than you will see minimal agression from adult ctenopoma.

240950793_4530403503690814_8549250898410866923_n eel.jpg

Reactions: LazyLathe

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I would suggest that it’s not as simple as just saying yes you will have issues or no you won’t without knowing how big the tank is, what decorations it contains and what other occupants. With enough space and an interesting tank I can’t see a problem, but in too small a tank with little in the way of decoration you could find you already have a pair and are introducing another male. All three things coming together to potentially cause an issue.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Yes, I'd be curious to know what size tank the OP has. I had one full grown cteno in my 135 gallon with various other peaceful occupants and added 2 more full grown ctenos with no issues. They all 3 get along fine. But a smaller tank could be a different scenario.
20200531_211526.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store