Oskie Boy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2011
Memphis TN
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I just moved all my African cichlids into a 75g and a 125g from a 300g stock tank. The group has been in the stock tank for almost 5 years (where I have not been able to view them properly) After moving them in I noticed some of them have red sores on the bodies and around the base of the pectoral fins. The base of some of the fishes dorsal fins are also red. Also the lateral lines seem to look a bit off to me as well. All of the fish are eating well and acting right. I am doing a 75% water change every third day. I also have aquarium salt at 1tbs per gallon in the water. Water is 80 degrees F. Is this some type of bacterial infection? Any treatment options? I will post pics below. thanks

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
I remember seeing a thread where the op had such problems, and if I remember correctly it is some kind of bacterial issue. And the cure for it is clean water and low stress levels.
But I could be wrong.
kno4te kno4te Rocksor Rocksor RD. RD. duanes duanes could help

Reactions: Oskie Boy

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Not sure that I have any great answers for you on this one. I treated the tank over the course of several months using a variety of treatments and meds. I still ended up losing about 5-6 fish but I am unsure if the redness was the cause of death. There were periods where the fish improved but then drastically declined. I wish I knew what the cure for this is.
Happy to say that there are no longer visible issue on the remaining fish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be bacterial or viral it seems. Would keep the water clean and dose some triple sulfa just in case.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

rosieg

Feeder Fish
May 15, 2022
I just moved all my African cichlids into a 75g and a 125g from a 300g stock tank. The group has been in the stock tank for almost 5 years (where I have not been able to view them properly) After moving them in I noticed some of them have red sores on the bodies and around the base of the pectoral fins. The base of some of the fishes dorsal fins are also red. Also the lateral lines seem to look a bit off to me as well. All of the fish are eating well and acting right. I am doing a 75% water change every third day. I also have aquarium salt at 1tbs per gallon in the water. Water is 80 degrees F. Is this some type of bacterial infection? Any treatment options? I will post pics below. thanks
did you ever find out what it was? I have had two fish get it, but it was at least 100x worse. It looked like they had giant tumors at the base of their pectoral fins. Big open sores. Like some crazy tumor you see in the internet.. but always bilaterally at the base of both pecs. one was a polar parrot and the other was a geophagus. Both fish were in a community tank so I had to take them out, but was unable to resolve the issue. I lost both fish. I’ve been looking everywhere and there’s nothing about it on the Internet other than people like us asking

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store