Amazon Puffers

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They are a true freshwater puffer as said.
72CF0605-98B1-49AD-A1FF-244B0E5866E4.jpeg
They prefer fast flowing water, but as far as puffers go are relatively undemanding when it comes to water parameters. They will do well in a wide range of pH and have a stronger tolerance for dirtier water.
They need groups to thrive, 3 at the minimum but the more the merrier, as they are naturally skittish and nervous fish.
Like all puffers, they need plenty of meaty and hard shelled foods to keep their beaks well trimmed, but it’s almost always inevitable that you have to manually cut their teeth.
F65AE5F4-2ED7-43AF-8D15-387EAB8BFD06.jpeg
These guys seem to have a very fast metabolism, and would benefit from at least daily feedings, if not multiple small meals per day. With any puffer, breeding your own live foods (shrimp, scuds, snails, etc.) will help.
They are very peaceful for a puffer and most tankmates will cause more harm to the Amazon than the other way around - smaller high bodied tetras, Cory cats, livebearers, and plecos, all would make good tankmates.
98C37B77-69DB-4ED1-AE13-5159CCAEBDF1.jpeg
I kept mine with serpae tetras, skunk/sun loaches (I don’t recommend as they are also snail eaters, but they were leftover from when the tank was an mbuna tank), a bn pleco, and some mollies.

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They definitely are a rewarding fish to keep. Schoutodini are easier, but much more expensive.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Not a fan..they glass surfed all day and never really hovered around like what you’d expect from puffers. They zipped around all day.

Also, their beaks grew like crazy.

Schoutedeni are way more chill and equally peaceful and maybe worth saving for

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Is there any fw puffers that will spawn in aquariums?
Schoutodini are known to breed in home aquaria, others can be done but are much more difficult and require more specialized setups.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Have Faka ever bred in aquariums?
I have a captive bred fahaka. Where from I am unsure. So yes...but to what end I haven't got a clue. There is a small thread of someone that got them to breed on the puffer forum and was able to raise around 100 fry total from a few batches. That was in 2016 or 17.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store