Anubias rot?

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I just recently got some anubias (Nana and Nana petite) and I've been noticing that it appears I have anubias rot going on in some of the plants, as well as a lot of leaves falling odd. I'm not sure what's causing this as I dose with fertilizer once a week ontop of having fish in the tank. Does anybody have any pointers or tips on what I can do?

20231202_235811.jpg

20231202_235750.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just recently got some anubias (Nana and Nana petite) and I've been noticing that it appears I have anubias rot going on in some of the plants, as well as a lot of leaves falling odd. I'm not sure what's causing this as I dose with fertilizer once a week ontop of having fish in the tank. Does anybody have any pointers or tips on what I can do?

View attachment 1530763

View attachment 1530764
If any rhizome are good the plant should recover. Don't bury the rhizome.

Reactions: kno4te

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Plants will go through various changes as you described do to a change of new environment.

Reactions: kno4te

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Yeah, I once had a 65 stocked from top to bottom with different varieties of anubius..including giant clumps of anubias nana petite I grew out for years. I ended up ordering anubius frazeri and it must have had something because all my anubias rhizomes started rotting away. Kept cutting away bad parts but it wouldn’t stop until I was left with a very little.

Folks on Scape and Plantedtank forums said it was some sort of bacterial disease. Can’t remember but what I treated with, maybe erythromycin, but I ended up just tossing everything. I’d quarantine that plant if you have other anubias until you figure it out

Reactions: tlindsey

Exotic$4me

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2023
Have you dipped them in a solution of hydrogen peroxide? When I started disinfecting my plants with it I made the mistake of leaving them in the solution for too long. The other solution is to take the plants out and put them in a tank/container with new water and see if the plants stop rotting. If not, follow the online suggestions of using hydron peroxide for a plant dip. Mind you, some plants with more delicate leaves must not be dipped as recommended but Anubias sp. should be alright. I hope this helps. Oh, another thing, plants are sensitive to salt.

SingAlongWithTsing

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Inland Empire
If the rhizome is squishy, oozing green, and smells like vomit you got some type of rot going on.

Think I fixed it or minimalized the damage a few years ago by coating an x-acto knife with hydrogen peroxide and cut off the affected area and a bit of the healthy part of the rhizome and sealed off the end with super glue (used gorilla glue gel type at the time).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store