Any ideas for a cold water monster tank?

GouramiGuy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2021
I was thinking about getting a pond and stocking it with some monster fish. The only bad part is that I live in NC and the winters get pretty cold and the summers get really hot. I was wondering what kinds of larger fish I could stock in it.

the pond is 70” in diameter and 24”in height.

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
I was thinking about the smaller gar species. I've read somewhere before that they used to be found up to Missouri before environmental destruction limited their habitat to Louisiana, but someone else factcheck me about their temperature tolerance.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I was thinking about getting a pond and stocking it with some monster fish. The only bad part is that I live in NC and the winters get pretty cold and the summers get really hot. I was wondering what kinds of larger fish I could stock in it.

the pond is 70” in diameter and 24”in height.
That's a fairly small pond, maybe 300 gallons so be careful how many, and how large the fish you get that you add.
A couple small gars might work.
We have gars as far north as Wisconsin, so a northern variant might work (probably not a Cuban).
Where I lived in WI, I had a 300 gal, 24"depth pond would freeze solid to the bottom, so I always had to bring fish in from Dec thru mid March to a kiddy pool in my basement

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store