Any ideas to help my fish spawn?

Bearsjfk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2019
I have a large male red devil or Midas in a 180 gallon with 7 female calico convicts. In the past my devil has successfully spawned with a female devil in this same tank. She is not in the tank anymore. At least 4 of the convicts had successfully spawned in another tank I have with male convicts. The devil and convicts have been together for at least 5 months. I imagine/hope some of the offspring would look pretty cool. Any suggestions to help get the magic going? Or is this just not likely? The devil has always been pretty peaceful with smaller fish. I do have plenty of places for the females to hide. Any thoughts appreciated.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
A cool water change may help. Will help simulate the snow melt runoff in spring, when breeding season begins. Not cold just cooler that normal. Spring indicates the availability of more food for the fry when hatched, so that is when normally in the wild breeding begins.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bearsjfk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2019
Cool idea, how many degrees cooler is safe? I do 50%-55% water changes once a week. Does the quantity play in?

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
From what I understand its pretty rare for cross breeding to happen. Just think of the millions of years species our planet took to come along with different genes and adaptations in all creatures . So in saying that, cross contamination is possible but again probably rare unless man steps in.
Nothing wrong with trying but don't be too disappointed if it never happens.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Cool idea, how many degrees cooler is safe? I do 50%-55% water changes once a week. Does the quantity play in?
About 5° and do several in a week, just one won't do it, they need to feel the cool water to trigger thier natural instincts.

Bearsjfk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2019
From what I understand its pretty rare for cross breeding to happen. Just think of the millions of years species our planet took to come along with different genes and adaptations in all creatures . So in saying that, cross contamination is possible but again probably rare unless man steps in.

Bearsjfk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2019
Good points. I will keep that in mind and hope for the best. Thanks for your insight.

Bearsjfk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2019
That makes a lot of sense. I will let you know how it goes once I try the water changes. I appreciate the help!

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Cichlids, central american cichlids especially, are known for their ability to hybridize and produce fertile offspring with anything in their tribe, as they are one of the most recent diversifications of the family. That's where flowerhorns came from. Convict x red devil is possible, but unlikely because of the size gap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store