Any significant difference??

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Between Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets and Hikari Sinking Cichlid Gold?

I've been feeding my bichirs sinking pellets for quite awhile now. And my friend recommanded me this Sinking Cichlid Gold as it is much more cheaper.

Other than a slight difference in crude protein level, is there any other difference?
My bichirs seem to like the Cichlid Gold pellets very much.

HikariSalesUSA

M.A.N. Community Sponsor
MFK Member
Community Sponsor
Jan 31, 2010
Please be careful when comparing foods on protein levels only, or specific ingredients as you have no way of knowing what the food contains of each ingredient. Each diet Hikari produces is uniquely balanced for the nutritional needs of the fish it is intended to be fed to. Remember, Hikari, unlike most other fish food makers, has been making species specific diets for many decades because we recogized early on that each fish has a specific mix of nutrients they require for optimum health. Fish live in an enclosed environment, so we also have to give lots of thought to utilization of the nutrition offered to avoid adversely impacting the aquarium water. In the case of Sinking Carnivore, it was developed to replace live food for highly carnivorous fish. Cichlid Gold (sinking or floating) is targeted at a wider variety of cichlids from the omnivorus varieties to the carnivorus varieties, this means there are more plant materials in the Cichlid Gold than would be offered in Sinking Carnivore. For Bichirs, we find the Sinking Carnivore to be the best option for optimum health. Many hobbyists use Cichlid Gold as a way to reduce their feeding cost and that is ok, just remember you might not get the same results using this diet for your bichir.

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
What about Hikari Carnivore Sinking pellets versus Hikari Massivore Delite? I currently own a school of Hydrolycus Tatauaia's and appreciate any advice as to which is considered a better balanced meal for them.

They currently only eat live, but I'm currently training them to take pellets. Perhaps interchanging between the two types of pellets is a good idea..?

HikariSalesUSA

M.A.N. Community Sponsor
MFK Member
Community Sponsor
Jan 31, 2010
These two formulas are almost identical the only major difference is the size of the pellet. Massivore Delite is for larger specimens.

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
bump.. got a couple more questions if you don't mind. I know you said Massivore Delite and Carnivore Sinking Pellets are basically the same formula; how do they compare to the jumbo Carnisticks? Are your Food Sticks just a smaller size of the Carnisticks?

HikariSalesUSA

M.A.N. Community Sponsor
MFK Member
Community Sponsor
Jan 31, 2010
Correct, also very similar. Different levels of nutrition based on the size of the pellet. Faster growth is likely with the smaller version versus the larger one.

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
As I stated before, I have an 8" payara. So theoretically if I can take him to take any pellets, I'd see him experience more growth (and therefore is also healthier...?) with the sinking carnivore pellets, rather than the massivore?

Or are you talking about how fish typically grows faster as juveniles & when they hit a certain maturity level, they slow down on growth?

Is it a combination of both? Much thanks for the timely responses Hikari; much appreciated :D

HikariSalesUSA

M.A.N. Community Sponsor
MFK Member
Community Sponsor
Jan 31, 2010
We match the nutrition in the pellet with the type of fish it would be fed and the requirements for that type of fish. So yes, it's a combination of formulating the food to help the fish accomplish more growth during it's growth period.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store