Any species that would fit a 3 Foot Wide tank?

Hawthorne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2023
So I just got a 435 gallon or there around tank at 96" L x 35"W x 30"T and am thinking of stocking options. I've wanted rays for a while but never had a big tank prior. I was going to put in some silver dollars and an arowana possibly and just got to thinking about rays. Now I know at about 3 feet wide - I don't have that 4 feet sweet spot, the maximum space I have in the area I have ready only allowed for 35 inches wide.

I am guessing that for black diamonds etc - my tank would not be wide enough but I am wondering - are there any species that could do well in a 35" wide tank? I've heard about Mini Marbled (although through reading this is a debated topic on if they are stunted or an actual variant - although I did see them for sale at one point on Predatory Fins). Looking for suggestions and opinions.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I just got a 435 gallon or there around tank at 96" L x 35"W x 30"T and am thinking of stocking options. I've wanted rays for a while but never had a big tank prior. I was going to put in some silver dollars and an arowana possibly and just got to thinking about rays. Now I know at about 3 feet wide - I don't have that 4 feet sweet spot, the maximum space I have in the area I have ready only allowed for 35 inches wide.

I am guessing that for black diamonds etc - my tank would not be wide enough but I am wondering - are there any species that could do well in a 35" wide tank? I've heard about Mini Marbled (although through reading this is a debated topic on if they are stunted or an actual variant - although I did see them for sale at one point on Predatory Fins). Looking for suggestions and opinions.
Welcome aboard
Your going to get different answers 😆 The Hytrix stingray could live in that aquarium for life but they may be less hardy than the Motoro stingray.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas

Even though you have a sizeable tank, I don't believe you will have enough space for an Arowana (unless its a jardini or smaller breed). But the silver dollars will be perfectly fine. I couldn't comment on stingrays even though I think they're awesome fish, I don't know much about them lol.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Orbignyi and reticulatus, possibly magdalenae, may work, though I'd still recommend larger tanks for them. All three are occasionally available; I saw some smaller imports of reticulatus and orbignyi (mislabeled as "columbian hystrix") earlier this year. Supposedly there's a breeder working with orbignyi over in Germany; I don't know of anybody in the US. Reticulatus are some of my favourites; definitely less interactive and much shyer than motoro, though.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Plenty room for marbles IMO… 2fm 1 male… in general they stay smaller. Make sure there pure marbles tho. Motoro are some of the largest growing. Motoroxmarble will get much larger than pure marble. In general most males of any species stay smaller. Its the females that can reach 24-30” across. Even with black rays ive had 8-9yr old females that are around 22”-24” wide…a pair of black rays would most likely still be fine in ur tank. Another option for smaller growing rays are pearls. Males should go around 12”-16” width and females 18-20”… scobina of course are the smallest available but i think ur selling urself short a bit with the footprint u have. I kept and bred pairs and trios of marbles, hybrids, pearls and blacks for close to 10yrs in an 8’x3’ and 10’x3’ footprint. Also bred marbles in an 8’x2’. All my systems were on autodrip. Id look into and setup autodrip or autochange for ur water before getting the rays. Makes life much much easier for u and better for the fish. Lastly… it takes 2-4 yrs for males to mature and 3-5 for females. Thats a big feat to accomplish to even get to having a ray 14-20” wide if ur starting with pups.

Hawthorne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2023
Even though you have a sizeable tank, I don't believe you will have enough space for an Arowana (unless its a jardini or smaller breed). But the silver dollars will be perfectly fine. I couldn't comment on stingrays even though I think they're awesome fish, I don't know much about them lol.
Not looking for Silver Arowana or Black Arowana - focusing on Asians. I'm from Canada so they are legal.

And yes I love the wide bars! Not sure how many I should stock with but want to start there, add arowana after and then stingrays after that.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Hawthorne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2023
Orbignyi and reticulatus, possibly magdalenae, may work, though I'd still recommend larger tanks for them. All three are occasionally available; I saw some smaller imports of reticulatus and orbignyi (mislabeled as "columbian hystrix") earlier this year. Supposedly there's a breeder working with orbignyi over in Germany; I don't know of anybody in the US. Reticulatus are some of my favourites; definitely less interactive and much shyer than motoro, though.
What about Itaituba?

How do Orbignyi and reticulatus differ?

Hawthorne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2023
Plenty room for marbles IMO… 2fm 1 male… in general they stay smaller. Make sure there pure marbles tho. Motoro are some of the largest growing. Motoroxmarble will get much larger than pure marble. In general most males of any species stay smaller. Its the females that can reach 24-30” across. Even with black rays ive had 8-9yr old females that are around 22”-24” wide…a pair of black rays would most likely still be fine in ur tank. Another option for smaller growing rays are pearls. Males should go around 12”-16” width and females 18-20”… scobina of course are the smallest available but i think ur selling urself short a bit with the footprint u have. I kept and bred pairs and trios of marbles, hybrids, pearls and blacks for close to 10yrs in an 8’x3’ and 10’x3’ footprint. Also bred marbles in an 8’x2’. All my systems were on autodrip. Id look into and setup autodrip or autochange for ur water before getting the rays. Makes life much much easier for u and better for the fish. Lastly… it takes 2-4 yrs for males to mature and 3-5 for females. Thats a big feat to accomplish to even get to having a ray 14-20” wide if ur starting with pups.
Would something like Predatory Fins be the only way to pick up Mini Marbles? I have no idea on other sources.

And thanks! Maybe need to give it some more credit lol. I'm in Canada so I'll have to look into these and see if I can find any. Hard not to run into scams and such.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Would something like Predatory Fins be the only way to pick up Mini Marbles? I have no idea on other sources.

And thanks! Maybe need to give it some more credit lol. I'm in Canada so I'll have to look into these and see if I can find any. Hard not to run into scams and such.
I suggest checking Facebook if know one reply here.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store