anyone have an idea whats going on

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
well yesterday i turned on my tank light and my discus freaked out and then laid flat on the gravel. he laid there for an hour then swam up, but its like he is a 100 pounds or something. he swims up and then falls back down like a ton of bricks and lays there. everything in the tanks is norm. all other fishs fine. he is still breathing like norm. well today he is the same. i feed the fish in that tank and he swam to the top and fell back down like a brick. whats going on with him. he has been like this for almost 2 days. if i dont fix it hes gonna go hungry. anyone have an idea what this guy is doing. thanks

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The most common reason for an established fish to start acting stressed out is a vitamin deficiency. They get a little neurologically impared without the proper amino acids helping to provide a balance in hormone production. Unless you see symptoms of a disease causing this behavior, try adding a vitamin and trace element supplement designed around discus like "Discus Essential" or "Fresh Solution".

Dkarc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
You spooked the fish when you turned the lights on...plain and simple as that. You spooked it bad enough that it probably hit the wall pretty hard and knocked itself silly. If it doesnt come out of its daze within a few days, it usually will never get better...always better to just cull it than to rather let it suffer. JMO.

-Ryan

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
Dkarc said:
You spooked the fish when you turned the lights on...plain and simple as that. You spooked it bad enough that it probably hit the wall pretty hard and knocked itself silly. If it doesnt come out of its daze within a few days, it usually will never get better...always better to just cull it than to rather let it suffer. JMO.

-Ryan
:eek:

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
DeLgAdO said:
Does anybody have any clue what Delgado is saying here? I have heard of fish getting a concussion this could also be the problem had the same problem with celestial eye goldfish came back within three days just keep it up!

SchmucK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Australia
I think if it had a concussion, it wouldn't be able to swim up when feeding. But I do agree that you freaked it out and it did some injury to itself. Perhaps an airbladder problem?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store