April '09 - What Did That Beatle Say?

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Keeping it fresh and hopefully entertaining as well, I have a new spin to play on the monthly contest.

The Beatle’s music and lyrics are ubiquitous and not restricted to any specific age group of listeners.

Below is a short story in which lines from well known Beatle’s songs are interjected.

Any resemblance to real characters is purely coincidental.

Your part, as the participant, will be to uncover the Beatle’s song lyrics in this short story. Lines from a total of 38 songs can be found! I've quoted lyrics from only some their better known tunes. I imagine many of you will surprise yourselves and see how very familiar you may be with the lyrics of various Beatle’s songs. It’s amazing how well known these songs have become in our world culture.

1) Please list the name of the song from which the lyrics were quoted.

2) Please list the songs in the order in which they appear in the story. This will make review of your answers much easier!

3) Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments below, but please do not post your answers on this thread! That will only make it easier for the next viewer to place their entry as they may build upon your findings.

Instead, please email me directly: [EMAIL="bigguapote1@verizon.net"]bigguapote1@verizon.net[/EMAIL] or PM your completed list (one submission per person-no exceptions).

4) All submissions must be received by 3 AM Monday the 4th EST (that’s midnight on Sunday the 3rd for those of you on the west coast).

The participant whose entry has the most correct answers will be entitled to $50.00 of free Tangled Up In Cichlids fish. The runner up will receive $25.00 in free fish.

I’ll post those participant’s winning entries on this thread in addition to the 'key' as soon as I possibly can on Monday.

The story’s two main characters are Pressed Rat and Warthog. This unlikely duo are borrowed from a song written by Ginger Baker, performed by a band some of you may have heard of that went by the name of Cream. Our story begins with a direct quote from the song “Pressed Rat and Warthog.” It is here that we gain insight, more or less, to a day in the life of these two hard working chaps.

“Pressed Rat and Warthog have closed down their shop. They didn’t want to – ‘twas all they had got. Selling atonal apples, amplified heat, and Pressed Rat’s collection of dog legs and feet.”

“It was twenty years ago today,” Pressed Rat said to his lifelong business partner, Warthog, “that I crawled up to sleep in the bath in the back of this old store front. I think I’m going to be sad.”

Bad Captain Madman, the equivalent of a mayor in this quaint, Cotswold story book like town, was a narrow minded, evil little troll of a shrew. He had given them the ultimatum to close the doors of their dingy, candle and gas lantern lighted little shop of horrors.

“Be thankful I don’t take it all” was exactly what Bad Captain Madman had written in the eviction notice.

The harrowing news was not even presented to Pressed Rat and Warthog by the Bad Captain Madman personally. You see, Bad Captain Madman is rather small in stature. You’ve got to be good looking ‘cause he’s so hard to see. He only stooped as tall as to reach the shoulders of Pressed Rat – not a very formidable height to say the least. Being extremely short-sighted, weak in the chin and spine, you may say that Bad Captain Madman had a good reason for taking the easy way out.

Nobody paid him much mind, the least of whom happened to be his two timing jack rabbit of a wife. Naturally, she enjoyed Madman’s inherited riches and the elite social status to which all shrews received.

It was no secret in this small town that she gets it while she can. Over the years, there had been more than a few of Madman’s self-inflicted enemies that exclaimed to the unbridled young hare, “certainly you can do something in between the time mole goes to work and returns at the end of the day.”

And she thought “I knew the answer, no one will be watching us. I’ve got something I can laugh about,” she’d claim. Personally, I have always thought that it’s a crime the way she hopped about the mole’s subterranean home. More than one town resident had arisen there from a nap, only to find Gidgeons Bible on the nightstand. “Ay, but smiles awake you when you rise” was a phrase many visitors repeated when among their closest of company.

“I feel as though there is still a light that shines on me” Warthog reassuringly said to Pressed Rat. “The sun is up, the sky is blue, and don’t you know it’s going to be alright?

“Be alright?! Will you not miss all the people that come and go, stop and say hello? I have always wondered where do they all come from. I know I’ll often stop and think about them.” Pressed Rat suddenly looked exhausted. His eyes sank low on his face. “I look at the floor and see it needs sweeping. My dearest and oldest, ever optimistic friend Warthog, there’s a shadow hanging over me.” Pressed Rat continued to pout himself into a thoroughly depressed state of mind.

“That’s no shadow, my silly bubonic plague carrying vermin friend” Warthog said. “Why, it seems like years since it’s been clear in this cave of a shop because we’ve never had electricity to brighten our shelves and tables. My word, I have to wonder how you manage to make ends meet, selling well used canine parts to those unsavory bloaks at the glue factory.”

“That’s just like you, Warthog,” Pressed Rat pressed on. “You take a sad song and make it better. There’s nothing you can know that can’t be known, smarty pants. You’ve seen me - I’ve been working like a dog to keep this dream alive. Allow me to ask you something, my Compound W fearing swine friend, does it worry you to be alone? Honestly Warts, will you still need me, will you still feed me when I’m 64?”

“Is this really all that you’ve dreamed of doing with your life, Pressed Rat? If you ask me, you know I know when it’s a dream. We were only waiting for this moment to be free. Imagine yourself elsewhere. Perhaps we can head south. Man, I’d hate to miss the train if that’s to be direction we head next. I’d suggest we catch the next plane to someplace warmer. Close your eyes and picture yourself in a boat on a river, Rat. The sun warming your fur, a cold bottle of brew in your claws.”

Old Warthog may be on to something there. Pressed Rat silently contemplated his options. There were sparingly few to consider – the sales of atonal apples and amplified heat were really difficult concepts to get behind. Now it seemed that he may have time to put the finishing touches on the autobiography he’d been pecking away at. Hell, putting his life’s story into words seemed longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

“Warts,” Pressed Rat said, “it took me years to write, will you take a look at this autobiography I’ve been toiling away at? In retrospect, if you stick around now it may show to be a dreadful mistake. I say it’s high time we blew this joint. One thing though, Warts – do you remember the last time we were on a plane? To the USSR? On the way the paper bag was on my knee. Man I had a dreadful flight.

Warthog knowingly smiled. “Ah, that’s all behind us now Flat Rat.”

Pressed Rat heard Warthog mumbling the words to a familiar song as they gaily marched up the street. “I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.”

‘Always too logical for his own good’ was what Pressed Rat thought of Warthog at that moment. It wasn’t the first time he’d thought that, and he knew it wouldn’t be the last.

“Na na na na na na na” sang Pressed Rat. He always did favor the simpler joys in life.

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
Absolutely amazing! I am blown away - you guys can really rock!

It's a tie for first as I see it, so $50.00 + $50.00 of TUIC fish shall be awarded to our two winners.
Their song lists are posted below in case you'd like to check them out or compare notes.

Zenyfish entry:

1. It was twenty years ago today (Sgt. Pepper)
2. crawled up to sleep in the bath (Norwegian Wood)
3. I think I’m going to be sad. ( Ticket to ride)
4. Be thankful I don’t take it all (Taxman)
5. got to be good looking ‘cause he’s so hard to see. (Come Together )
6. good reason for taking the easy way out (Day Tripper)
7. she gets it while she can (Get back)
>>you can do something in between (Drive My Car)
* both winners missed this one*
8. And she thought “I knew the answer (She Came In Through The Bathroom Window)
9. no one will be watching us (Why Don't We Do It In The Road)
10. I’ve got something I can laugh about (Good day sunshine)
11. I have always thought that it’s a crime (We can work it out)
12. only to find Gidgeons Bible (Rocky Raccoon)
13. smiles awake you when you rise (Golden Slumbers)
14. there is still a light that shines on me (Let it be)
15.The sun is up, the sky is blue(Dear Prudence)
16.don’t you know it’s going to be alright? “Be alright (revolution 1)
17. all the people that come and go, stop and say hello (Penny Lane)
18. where do they all come from (Eleanor Rigby)
19. I know I’ll often stop and think about them (In my life)
20. I look at the floor and see it needs sweeping (while my guitar gently weeps)
21. there’s a shadow hanging over me. (Yesterday)
22. seems like years since it’s been clear (Here comes the sun)
23. wonder how you manage to make ends meet (Lady Madonna)
24. You take a sad song and make it better (Hey Jude)
25. nothing you can know that can’t be known (All you need is love)
I26. ’ve been working like a dog (A Hard Day's Night)
27. does it worry you to be alone (With a little help from my friends)
28. will you still need me, will you still feed me when I’m 64? (When I'm Sixty-Four)
29. were only waiting for this moment to be free (Blackbird)
30. I’d hate to miss the train (I've Got A Feeling)
31. Close your eyes and picture yourself in a boat on a river (Lucy in the sky with diamonds),
32. longer than the road that stretches out ahead (Two Of Us)
33. it took me years to write, will you take a look (Paperback writer)
34. you stick around now it may show (Something)
35. On the way the paper bag was on my knee. Man I had a dreadful flight (Back in the USSR).
36. I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. (I Am the Walrus)
37. he knew it wouldn’t be the last (Get back)
I didn't repeat 'Get Back' lyrics in the story. The actual line in the song goes "but he knew it couldn't last." It was a great guess - particularly if you were one song short and figured maybe I messed up the quote (which is completely possible!)
38. Na na na na na na na (Hey Jude)
Yes, 'Hey Jude' appear twice, but I only counted it once on the final tally of songs.

And snookie's entry was equally as impressive. He even found lyrics to one song I didn't intend to quote.

1. It was twenty years ago today… “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”
  2. crawled up to sleep in the bath… “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)”
  3. I think I’m going to be sad… “Ticket to Ride”
  4. Be thankful I don’t take it all… “Taxman”
  5. got to be good looking ‘cause he’s so hard to see… “Come Together”
  6. for taking the easy way out… “Day Tripper”
  7. she gets it while she can… “Get Back”
  8. you can do something in between (Drive My Car)* both winners missed this one*
  9. she thought I knew the answer… “She Came in Through the Bathroom Window”
  10. no one will be watching us… “Why Don’t We Do it in the Road?”
  11. I’ve got something I can laugh about… “Good Day Sunshine”
  12. I have always thought that it’s a crime… “We Can Work it Out”
  13. only to find Gidgeons Bible… “Rocky Raccoon”
  14. smiles awake you when you rise… “Golden Slumbers”
  15. there is still a light that shines on me… “Let it Be”
  16. The sun is up, the sky is blue… “Dear Prudence”
  17. don’t you know it’s going to be alright?... “Revolution”
  18. all the people that come and go, stop and say hello… “Penny Lane”
  19. where do they all come from… “Eleanor Rigby”
  20. I know I’ll often stop and think about them… “In My Life”
  21. I look at the floor and see it needs sweeping… “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
  22. there’s a shadow hanging over me… “Yesterday”
  23. it seems like years since it’s been clear… “Here Comes the Sun”
  24. wonder how you manage to make ends meet… “Lady Madonna”
  25. take a sad song and make it better… “Hey Jude”
  26. There’s nothing you can know that can’t be known… “All You Need is Love”
  27. I’ve been working like a dog… “Hard Day’s Night”
  28. does it worry you to be alone?... “With a Little Help from My Friends”
  29. will you still need me, will you still feed me when I’m 64?... “When I’m 64”
  30. you know I know when it’s a dream… “Strawberry Fields Forever”
  31. only waiting for this moment to be free… “Blackbird”
  32. I’d hate to miss the train “I’ve Got a Feeling”
  33. Close your eyes… “All My Loving” wow! I didn't even know this was there, but here it is - great job!
  34. picture yourself in a boat on a river… “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”
  35. longer than the road that stretches out ahead… “Two of Us”
  36. >>it took me years to write, will you take a look (Paperback Writer)
  37. you stick around now it may show… “Something”
  38. the way the paper bag was on my knee… “Back in the USSR”
  39. I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together… “I Am the Walrus”
  40. Na na na na na na na… “Hey Jude”
Thanks again to everyone who read the little fictional story and recognized some familiar lyrics from the Fab Four.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
"Hey Jude"

Now I have that song in my head!!!!

zenyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
OC, CA
Gr8KarmaSF;3082326; said:
"Hey Jude"

Now I have that song in my head!!!!
That's why they are such good song writers :)

Jeff, a hugh THANK YOU !!! I had a lot of fun with your puzzles. You rock!

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
A hymn, a mantra, a dream. A concept to live by.

Words by John Lennon

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

fish junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2009
northern utah
Wow real Beatle's fans excellent i have
Abbey road
The white album
Beatles for sale
A hard days night
Help!
Let it be
Magical mystery tour
Please please me
Revolver
Rubber soul
Sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band
yellow submarine
am i missing one? i swear i am one short from the beatles full collection minus solo albums of course

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store