Are Dither Fish a Nessacary Part of an Aquarium?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I've heard varying opinions on this and I was wondering what y'all thought about this. I remember some of y'all saying that aquariums are barely complete without dithers. At the same time, I've seen successful tanks without dithers.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
It’s all about personal aesthetic. I like dithers as it makes the tank far more natural and provides extra life and movement. Plus it makes your larger fish more comfortable. there are fish I wouldn’t do dithers with, like discus, flowerhorns, and hoplais
The biggest thing I make sure of is parameter and aggression compatibility. Other than that it’s fair game on either side of the debate

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I agree with the above. Whenever I can add them I will, as it just feels more like a natural ecosystem.
Obviously there’s no point trying them with something that will eat them though.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
They're never actually "necessary", but they may impart a feeling of confidence and safety to fish which are otherwise shy and spend all their time hiding. Watching a big school of goofy little dithers bumbling about without a care in the world usually gets those other fish to display themselves much better. Dithers might also help picky feeders start eating, both by acting as examples and also by inciting competition for the available food.

I personally love the "look" of a tank that has one or more big monsters cruising serenely around, along with schools of much smaller fish, creating a very natural feed.

I think there is also a significant number of aquarists who use dithers as an excuse to jam just a few more fish into an already overcrowded tank, under the guise of being "necessary". Doesn't matter if they are tank centerpieces or just dithers; all fish still eat and poop and add to bioload.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many tanks can do without them, especially if your cichlids (as an example of a type that relies of watching dither fish to assess the threat of danger) are comfortable. Oscar tanks are one of those that seldom need dithering.
But wherever I collect in nature, the ratio of "dither fish" to non-dither fish is usually at least 50 to 1 (or 2), and not only cichlids but many predators, such as gobies.

In the Cenotes of Mexico, where JD come from, the live bearers vastly outnumber JDs.
Where I collect Andinoacara, tetras vastly outnumber the cichlids.

IMG_4403.jpeg
IMG_4404.jpeg

And as far as non-dither species go, where I collect in Central America, I seldom find more than 3 species of cichlids per acre, and even then, these 3 often have 3 different micro-habitat preferences, such as differing current velocities, and substrate types,
and their feeding strategies are quite different, and in this way they don't directly compete for the same resources, , or get in each others way.
Andinoacara are often found in sedate pools near terrestrial tree roots, and in shaded areas, over sandy substrate .
IMG_4585.jpeg
Darienheros, in higher current area, over rocky substrate, more in the open.
IMG_0212.jpeg
and the Isthmoheros, found in, in-between current areas, in tandem with fallen tree branches, and where leaf litter collects, and fallen fruit and seeds are scattered.
IMG_4986.jpeg
Unlike many Africans, or even S Americans, large communities of diverse C American cichlids are not often seen in the areas where I collect.
So to me, tanks crammed with lots of Central American cichlid species, and without dithers , are quite anti reality., and may be why we see so many "why are my cichlids killing each other posts?,

Last edited:

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I use them when the cichlids are young, and need the calming effect they add. As soon as the cichlid can eat them they goto another tank or sold. Could you imagine dithers in Casper’s tank. It's would be a murder spree.
20210711_190854.jpg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Are Dither Fish a Nessacary Part of an Aquarium?
Not only are they not necessary, but I am not sure that 'dither' fish actually do what is expected of them.

I have got twenty four orange cheek barbs in my large tank. I believe they are supposed to be good medium sized dithers, but they seem to do what they want and quite decisively, irrespective of any other members of the tank. Anything but dithering around.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Not only are they not necessary, but I am not sure that 'dither' fish actually do what is expected of them.

I have got twenty four orange cheek barbs in my large tank. I believe they are supposed to be good medium sized dithers, but they seem to do what they want and quite decisively, irrespective of any other members of the tank. Anything but dithering around.
I have found that larger fish tend to not be as good of dithers. Neons and smaller tetras have worked very well for me.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
I use them when the cichlids are young, and need the calming effect they add. As soon as the cichlid can eat them they goto another tank or sold. Could you imagine dithers in Casper’s tank. It's would be a murder spree.
View attachment 1539701
Not necessarily. I have a group of 7 (juvenile, but breeding size) convicts in with Tolken, my 12-13" male Midas. He gives a short chase now and then but mostly doesn't bother them at all. Small enough that he doesn't mind sharing his space.

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
I've heard varying opinions on this and I was wondering what y'all thought about this. I remember some of y'all saying that aquariums are barely complete without dithers. At the same time, I've seen successful tanks without dithers.
Dither fish serve either 1 or 2 common purpose:
1) Spreading out aggression
2) Making other fish feel comfortable

The first purpose only works when the fish you have are similar in size and if you want a large community tank. This is why heavily overstocked predator tanks can work as fish will instinctively attack the weakest fish for either food or territory. Of course in that scenario what is considered "dither fish" is somewhat the luck of the draw. Even in small community tanks like livebearers, even with enough space, breeding behaviors will result in illness and death if there is not enough Females-to-males. In this case dither could either be more females of the same species or another competitor species to focus energy elsewhere.

The second purpose works in effectively all scenarios but in terms of the home aquarium it's not necessary. More specifically, unless you plan on getting plastic surgery and wear different styles of clothes everyday your fish will quickly get acclimated & associate you with food. Ergo, unless you have an extremely skittish fish or have 0 grow-out tanks and only 1 large display tank, dither fish are not necessary but there is also no harm as long as you have the appropriate aquarium size, proper filter, and ensure all fish are parasite & infection free before introducing them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store