Are dwarf Oscars real?

CatfishRampage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2023
I have an Oscar that I had for more than 4months and it isn't growing so I had some research and found nothing then I searched dwarf oscar and there was an article and I'm really confused about it

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
What size tank is the Oscar in and have you tested the water parameters? How big is it now?
Some Oscar species max out smaller than the common Oscar, but even then you’re looking at a 12 inch fish.
There are short bodied Oscars that don’t get as long, but still will attain the mass of the normal fish.

CatfishRampage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2023
Welcome to the forum!
What size tank is the Oscar in and have you tested the water parameters? How big is it now?
Some Oscar species max out smaller than the common Oscar, but even then you’re looking at a 12 inch fish.
There are short bodied Oscars that don’t get as long, but still will attain the mass of the normal fish.
[/QUOTE unfortunately I have no idea how to test water parameters but my tank is a 55 gallon and the fish is 3-4inches I had another oscar in the tank that grew to 12inches and is over all healthy

CatfishRampage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2023
It's possible your Oscar isn't growing do to water quality or is a runt.
Please list your water parameters and your water change routine.
Are there other fish in the aquarium with the Oscar?
Yes I have 5 red eye tetras,rainbow shark and 2 more species. Btw the aquarium is a grow out tank for the oscar

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
You can bring a sample of water to an LFS and they can test it for you. Big box stores like PetSmart and Petco do it for free, so it should be the standard.
I believe you have a stunted fish. Does it have really big eyes or any other off-looking body portion? Likely not going to see it get much larger than its current size if it hasn't grown in the months you've been raising it.

Reactions: tlindsey

CatfishRampage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2023
It's possible your Oscar isn't growing do to water quality or is a runt.
Please list your water parameters and your water change routine.
Are there other fish in the aquarium with the Oscar?
Yes I have other fish in the tank

CatfishRampage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2023
You can bring a sample of water to an LFS and they can test it for you. Big box stores like PetSmart and Petco do it for free, so it should be the standard.
I believe you have a stunted fish. Does it have really big eyes or any other off-looking body portion? Likely not going to see it get much larger than its current size if it hasn't grown in the months you've been raising it.
My fish looks completely normal but it's stomach is a little big. I thought it was just because it ate alot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store