Are these chili/super red Oscar?

zmkm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
MA
Hello, I got these 3 oscar today. They were sold to me as chili/super red Oscar. I have never kept chili Oscar before, and they look reddish color but not as red as online pictures show. Can someone please help confirm they are chili Oscar or just normal Oscar on red color? Thanks

IMG_9040.jpeg

IMG_9043.jpeg

IMG_9045.jpeg

IMG_9046.jpeg

IMG_9039.jpeg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Chili red are know to be more striking red, not so orange.

Not my pic thank Google
download-2.jpeg

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
If the only thing making them unique is their striking color, and you just got them today, with the stress of being bagged or bucketed and put into your tank they've never seen before, they will take some time, maybe a few days maybe even a few weeks to settle in and display their normal coloration, so you probably won't know until then.

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
I have heard of some shops feeding their Chili Red Oscars Hikari Blood Red Parrot food.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
In Asia they would use hormones, or Carophyll Red in feed, or both. The OP's fish don't look chili anything....

Reactions: tlindsey

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I think the chili red probably has more to do with diet and probably hormones like RD. RD. said. From what I am hearing they seem to fade out not long after import. It is possible the shop bought those as chili red and now that is what they became over time. You will still enjoy your fish for its behavior, but I sincerely doubt you will get them to the brilliance you are looking for. Jexnell Jexnell 's pic looks more intense than any I have seen coming to the US.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store