Are these color morph Datnoids?!?!?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
The first and last picture, apart from being an interesting pattern, look as though the colour has been altered. The rock or whatever it is behind, looks a rather peculiar blue green.

I am not sure that dats have colour morphs as such, in the same way as cichlids.

But they do change their appearance almost at will: Fade out, fade in, become blotchy, blend in, become almost translucent.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I can't say for sure, but they don't look like they're color morphs. Generally speaking, color morphs are genetic expressions of often times recessive traits in this case color that hinder survival in the wild. The genes get put into a dormant state to prevent expression while more beneficial colors and patterns become dominant. This isn't always the case though as there are color morphs that can be dominant, codominant as well as recessive. Knowing what genes are what is that which allows you to figure out how to reproduce the color morph using punnett squares. Albino, xanthic, axanthic, leucistic, chimera and erythism are some of the most commonly known morphs. While the pattern is unique, I don't believe it qualifies as a color morph. These are some examples of Datnoid Color morphs, only one in the video is questionable as I'm unable to define a definitive genetic known classification for its expression.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
The two pics in the middle are that of an IT from The Waterfront SLC (who may have gotten the fish from Wes); think it was just a juvie that consistently displayed partially faded bars on an oddly pale background; more of a unique pattern than a colour morph, I'd think.

Reactions: M3AN ONE

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
The two pics in the middle are that of an IT from The Waterfront SLC (who may have gotten the fish from Wes); think it was just a juvie that consistently displayed partially faded bars on an oddly pale background; more of a unique pattern than a colour morph, I'd think.
Forgive my ignorance who is Wes. He seems like someone to know!

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Wes is Rare Fish a vendor on here and a great one at that IMHE

Edit: he posts on here and some stuff on FB but it's better to get on his contact list so he'll forward available stock as he gets them.

KQizzle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2016
the ones pictured are considered fuzzy bar. broken pattern indo dats. NGT styled bars. i have it also.IMG_7700.jpg

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Earlier this year, in the morning as the sun was streaming in horizontally, I noticed one of my dats, an NTT which was basking by a piece of driftwood, was clear almost translucent yellow, except for one black splodge. It looked exactly like one of many of the weird dats that you see and hear about.

But really, it had just faded to meet the temporary conditions. I have got many NTTs in the tank, and I do not even know which one it was.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store