Arowana jumping?

justanotherkeeper

Feeder Fish
Sep 28, 2023
Garden Grove
i have this fear of Arow finally getting out of their tank. This was exactly what happened with my 1st silver arow. It grew to 8 inches. One morning i saw his stiff body lying by my front door. Now with my 3rd silver arow. it grew from 2 inch (when i bought him) 15 months ago and he's now 24 inch monster. He lives in a 90 gal (4ftx3ftx2ft) tank and recently started to jump where he's making big water splashes and getting my floor wet. i have decided to seek help here to rehome him as i fear one day that all this jumping may not only result to his demise but also to tank failure/damage. Aside from this, tank maintenance is getting out of hand and made me decide to slowly get rid of this hobby. 😭

Reactions: tlindsey

Logan487

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
North Carolina
I had a Jardini that was rather jumpy awhile back. Ended up going to the LFS and getting a bunch of water lettuce so he had a sort of floating jungle root wise to swim around in and the top of the water was covered. It made feeding a bit of a pain sometimes but he calmed down substantially afterwards. If you don't want to go the plant route may also try turning down your light if its adjustable and making sure theres nothing casting shadows over the water surface such as an overhead fan, etc.

Just to add, depending on your tank as well you may consider buying a wood top, as it can provide a second layer of protection in addition to a weighted glass lid if they jump towards the top.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i have this fear of Arow finally getting out of their tank. This was exactly what happened with my 1st silver arow. It grew to 8 inches. One morning i saw his stiff body lying by my front door. Now with my 3rd silver arow. it grew from 2 inch (when i bought him) 15 months ago and he's now 24 inch monster. He lives in a 90 gal (4ftx3ftx2ft) tank and recently started to jump where he's making big water splashes and getting my floor wet. i have decided to seek help here to rehome him as i fear one day that all this jumping may not only result to his demise but also to tank failure/damage. Aside from this, tank maintenance is getting out of hand and made me decide to slowly get rid of this hobby. 😭
Welcome aboard
Tbh the aquarium is too small and having a affect on the Silver Arowana behavior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store