Arrowhead Puffers.....

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Have an empty 45 and trying to get some info on these guys..... I know that they are extremely aggressive and not active all the time. Also know that they bury themselves in the sand. None of that bothers me. Anyone have any other info regarding them? Ideal tank size, etc. Anyone here have one? Any pics they can post for me? Thanks guys!!!! :)

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
just make sure lots of hiding places if your getting more than one. Also very regular water changes cause they are messy eaters-and sensitive to ammonia and nitrates. Feed krill, shrimp, crayfish, crab and the occasional feeder fish.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
o and also they can go through some large colour changes-more so than other puffers, from their mud colour to bright red!

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
I had one in a 20 gallon by itself. They are not active at all, only when theyre hungry. I had gravel and sand in there and he liked to burrow and move as little as possible to eat. He will actually wait for the feeder to run into his mouth! Haha, but when he does catch something, he makes a crunching sound. Occasionally he ate shrimp and beefheart, but kinda picky.

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
How big did he get? Read online everywhere from 4 1/2 to 7 inches...... That is why I always turn to you guys cause I figure someone here has had one at some point in time!!! ;) Have a feeling it is not going to be easy to come across one.... Know my lfs never carries them. Any more info would be appreciated! Thanks!!! :)

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
A good friend of mine purchased one after seeing my fahaka devour all sorts of things.. He got it for $25 at an overpriced fish store, and I have seen tfdfish.com sell them for as cheap as $6 + shipping. They should be fairly common, but like most puffers, they are likely seasonal.

The care for them is the same as most the other puffers, but they do get boring. They sit and do nothing, and unless you are in to bringing over friends to watch big fish eat little fish, that's about the extent of it. With a 45g tank you might have alot of other puffer options, such as a couple F8s, a GSP, South American Puffers, Bronze Puffers, Dwarf Puffers, etc, etc.. It would be kind of a waste of tankspace to have an arrowhead in a tank bigger than 20g, because they don't need the swimming space at all..

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Miles said:
A good friend of mine purchased one after seeing my fahaka devour all sorts of things.. He got it for $25 at an overpriced fish store, and I have seen tfdfish.com sell them for as cheap as $6 + shipping. They should be fairly common, but like most puffers, they are likely seasonal.

The care for them is the same as most the other puffers, but they do get boring. They sit and do nothing, and unless you are in to bringing over friends to watch big fish eat little fish, that's about the extent of it. With a 45g tank you might have alot of other puffer options, such as a couple F8s, a GSP, South American Puffers, Bronze Puffers, Dwarf Puffers, etc, etc.. It would be kind of a waste of tankspace to have an arrowhead in a tank bigger than 20g, because they don't need the swimming space at all..
Thanks for the input. Do you get in any different puffers? like the ones that are not as easy to come by...... My lfs carries GSP's, Fig 8's and Dwarves on a regular basis. Think I saw South American puffers on your list that you just released.... Have any info on these including a pic? Any not so common puffers that you come across?! Thanks Miles!!! :)

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Miles said:

Sorry.... Also have no room other than the 45 gal!!! I know you carry Fahaka's but that is definitely not an option right now! :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store