ARTC Hemibagrus wyckioides, Mr. crankypants, 16"

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... the artc was a little over 24'' when we finally decided to try him with the other large cats ,rtcs,shovelnose , marble achara, other notable tank mates where alligator gars and a pima, shortly after adding him to a tank with larger tank mates the aggression was gone just like that no rhyme or reason just gone...
How big was the new tank? I assume it was the tank size that made the difference. I've found and reported the same (above) when I rehomed mine from 240 gal to 4500 gal. Mine had gone from horror to a model citizen.

Redtailedcat

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
Ontario Canada
How big was the new tank? I assume it was the tank size that made the difference. I've found and reported the same (above) when I rehomed mine from 240 gal to 4500 gal. Mine had gone from horror to a model citizen.
the new tank size was a indoor pond that was 5000gal compared to his 220 gallon he was in before hand

Redtailedcat

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
Ontario Canada
You don’t think it could’ve been to natural causes?
unfortunately i dont , i am starting to believe its bad genetics at play , the reason i say that is prior to those two artcs i had another one years before hand that lived about 10yrs before a larger rtc killed him , and ive seen other prior to 2010 that had artcs for many years some even surpassing the 10 year mark.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
unfortunately i dont , i am starting to believe its bad genetics at play , the reason i say that is prior to those two artcs i had another one years before hand that lived about 10yrs before a larger rtc killed him , and ive seen other prior to 2010 that had artcs for many years some even surpassing the 10 year mark.
You remember how big those got to?

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
As in multiple ARTC in one tank? If it is big enough to allow for establishing multiple territories plus an ample space between them, I imagine it could be tried. They will still find each other and fight.

Other than that, see the link to Fishman Dave's thread I linked above on the prior page and his other posts on ARTC. He has had up to 3 in 1500 gal but with a doubled liner where the inner liner was torn.

So you are the Achilles from the YouTube that was talking to me! What's the link in your signature? I go there but to no avail.
Yes this is the same Achilles. I keep up to date with most of your videos simply because no one else on youtube seems to consistently upload videos with monster fish. What i've discovered is that the monster fish community is much smaller than I had anticipated. I expect this to change overtime, but may take a while. Aquarium interest is starting to rise a lot on YouTube so it wouldn't surprise me if monster fish interest rose as well. Don't have anything on my youtube/site yet but I am working on establishing some sort of brand in the future. In the meantime I just keep it up for contact.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Lost my last one too last week although I put that down to the Wykii but he was def. A runt as he had a bent \ twisted tail. Will definitely get another as one of my favourite cats although it seems much harder nowadays to get them anything like the sizes of old. Will look to grow one on alone like I did the Wykii just to see if I can build into it a bit more agrression or survival instinct. Might be me but they just seem to have lost it !!!!!

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Lost my last one too last week although I put that down to the Wykii but he was def. A runt as he had a bent \ twisted tail. Will definitely get another as one of my favourite cats although it seems much harder nowadays to get them anything like the sizes of old. Will look to grow one on alone like I did the Wykii just to see if I can build into it a bit more agrression or survival instinct. Might be me but they just seem to have lost it !!!!!
I know with snakes for instance, the more captive breeding done the tamer they get, wonder if it can be the same with fish

Reactions: Fishman Dave

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I know with snakes for instance, the more captive breeding done the tamer they get, wonder if it can be the same with fish
With snakes, one tends to breed the more docile, easily-handled specimens simply because they are easier to keep! It's not as easy to get excited about breeding an animal that can't be handled without risking life and limb. :) Critters like that are also more easily stressed and thus harder to condition and to induce breeding.

Not sure that's the case with fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store