Aurantimaculata tank v2.0. Don’t die on me again !

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
So prolly its from uneaten food which splitted at feeding time , it cant be anything else. I can before 2-3 days fungus on poops but i removed it and thats all. Try to remove it with your cleaning pipe which makes water changes. I am feeding mealworms and krikets one by one and removing after feeding every small piece of uneaten food. I ll be hard to remove some of them in your tank because of plants and wood but if you see any try to. Well if thinks go worst you may suffer some bacterial infections like your first tank....I suggest to have near a Nova+ which is natural prodact ( i use the same) in case fungus appears. I hope it won't

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017
I've never had fungus grow on poop, and I've had a tank not have a drop of water removed or added to it for over a year. My aurantis had the most clear water I'd ever seen, and it had not been water changed at all.

After they eat a super worm don’t you have small pieces of white crap floating all over the place? You see my video, Like that!

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017
I've never had fungus grow on poop, and I've had a tank not have a drop of water removed or added to it for over a year. My aurantis had the most clear water I'd ever seen, and it had not been water changed at all.

After they eat a super worm don’t you have small pieces of white crap floating all over the place? You see my video, Like that!

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017
It looks like old, un-eaten food to me, just scoop it out! That's one sign you are over feeding. If they were that hungry, they would sniff out the majority of the bits left after feeding.
Its deffo not uneaten good in the sense that it’s an uneaten worm. They eat every worm but there are small particles and goo floating around after eating them.

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017
So I cleaned out a lot of the white fuzzy mould. Vacuumed the bottom, rinsed the ferns under the rap, cleaned the gauze filter condom with a toothbrush and dumped most of my duckweed which was covered in the stuff.

Then I reduced feeding frequency to 48 hourly. Cut the worms into chunks of 3 so they don’t barf them back up. They still make a bit of a mess but not so much. The mould doesn’t immediately grow so I think it’s just a question of letting the filter bacteria catch up with the increased bioload.

I’m not saying I have a pair but there’s definitely 2 that hang out together in the middle of the tank. They lean on each other and always come to investigate together when I approach the tank. I can’t tell if they are a male and female yet though.

Then there is a small male with the best finnage out of the lot who likes to display in front of them and always get chased off. He likes to start the fights but always loses. His fins were a bit frayed when I introduced them all to the tank. I guess he was a scrapper in the store. In fact he was the only one who wasnt pale in colour when he went in so I knew he had a strong personality and wasn’t easily stressed. I’m kinda sad that it’s looking like he won’t be the successful male given that he’s already getting his ass kicked and he’s small.

The other 3 hang together and stay low profile under plants. They don’t seem to bicker and haven’t suffered any fin damage yet.

All 6 are very sociable and like to come poke my hands or the siphon hose when I clean out the muck. They’re all very eager and good feeders.

Reactions: Gaz_ham

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017
new vid guys.

i still can't pick out clear differences between males and females reliably. sometimes they look male but then their fins will look female 2 mins later!

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
I fed my striata with morio worms and i had the same issue like you had, with all this white leftovers from “super” worms. :D

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017
Now I’m chopping the worms to reduce vomiting back into the water column.

I have a new issue now... huge pure white floating turds. They get caught on my inlet gauze. These fish do mammoth ****s. It’s crazy. The ones that sink just sit there. They look gross lol

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
I found planaria two days before lol. I think i ll ho back to mealworms and feed big amount of food

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store