Aurea the golden/flash tiger catfish (Brachyplatystoma juruense) growout & color experiment

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Update on my flash zebra! We've decided it's a she and her name is Aurea, which is Latin for Golden. Check out that gold plate! Lots of yellow coming in on her face, lateral line and in speckles down her flank. She seems to be responding well to her supplements. :)

20200527crop.png

20200527_225929.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
She's pretty! Latin is a good basis for naming animals :p
Yeah I feel like I may have hit on something with this trend ?

?

Outstanding. How big is she now?

are you feeding pellets at all, or just tilapia and the mystery supplement?
She's getting a roughly 50/50 mix of tilapia and shrimp. I've actually been having a VERY hard time getting the supplements into her. She rejects dosed food items most of the time. I have only had about a 30% success rate with my dosing, but the desired effect is starting to show anyway. I expect better luck with dosing once she gets a bit bigger.

As to growth, I'd say she's picked up about 3/4 of an inch or so in the past month. She was about 4" when she showed up, she's approaching 5" now.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Crappy cell phone shot showing perhaps more clearly than the Nikon pics do the blush of gold that's developing in her front third. It's important to note that I've had less than good luck at getting her dosed with the supplement so far, as she's still quite small. As she gets bigger, it gets easier, but this is the result of inconsistent and irregular dosing.

20200628a.jpg

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Chicxulub Chicxulub , apolgoies if I missed it, but what are the supplements?
Thoughts on shell-on shrimp incl heads (nip off spines) to up the red/gold?

Centipede &/or carrot-loaded roaches/crickets? Might also & similarly gut-load bullfrog tadpoles, if you've access.
Thinking of the usual up-colour processes for koi (& arowana, apparently)
... also following thread now :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store