Baby fahaka feeding

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Hi!

Ran across some baby fahakas and couldn't turn one down. Brought the little guy home, he's maybe 2" long and is currently in a 29 gallon until he puts on a couple more inches (I realize how large these get and he will have an adequate sized home). What are some good foods to feed this guy? He was eating snails at the lfs but I don't exactly have a colony of snails to feed the little guy. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi!

Ran across some baby fahakas and couldn't turn one down. Brought the little guy home, he's maybe 2" long and is currently in a 29 gallon until he puts on a couple more inches (I realize how large these get and he will have an adequate sized home). What are some good foods to feed this guy? He was eating snails at the lfs but I don't exactly have a colony of snails to feed the little guy. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hopes this help also Fat Homer Fat Homer

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
At such a small size you can start training them to eat pellets and also mix their diets up with some of the following frozen foods:

At 5" and less: bloodworms / pellets / chopped up frozen foods such as shrimp / mussels / clams etc but take the meat off the shell...

As your puffer gets larger, you could feed your puffer clams with half shell or pryed open with full shell (if the shell is not overly thick) / mussel on half shell / crayfish (smaller than your puffer) / river prawns / squid etc...

Pellets would be the best thing to get them on as a stable good and then you could use frozen foods to mix things up...

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Homer thank you. I am mainly a central / south American cichlids keeper so I have tons of pellets available, anything you would recommend?

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Thank you. I've got some North Fin carnivore pellets. I'll try to train the little guy on those!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yeah, my old girl took NLS and Hikari Massivore quite readily as far as dry foods went...

Although really it will be a bit of trial and error till you find something your puffer accepts...

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
I just got it to eat thawed raw shrimp which at the moment I'm thrilled with. I will try the pellets once it gets all settled in and comfortable. Thank you again

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store