Backyard earthworms

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
So I collected about 20 earthworms in my backyard. The yard has zero fertilizer pesticides etc so they are healthy.

I have this extra 10 gallon tank with shredded up leave some of the yard and some soil and substrate.

I was getting tired of going to the fish store to buy nightcrawlers for my fire eel who's a picky eater so I was hoping this would be a good option. Before feeding the fire real do I just need to rinse off the worm with tank water or is there something I need to do?

1000030685.jpg

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Do you just want a place to keep them temporarily (short term), or do you want to have a wormery? (a place where they reproduce and become a constant source)?
If the former, you don't need anything else.
If the latter, then you would need to set up better growth media, feed them, and allow them to reproduce. Common earthworms from the garden include at least 3 species, and they are different than the earthworms used as 'compost worms'. Compost worms are smaller, reproduce much faster, and the wormery needs to be fed regularly, as well as "maintained' (media replenished, humidity conditions controlled, 'waste' removed). Compost worms are also liked better by smaller fish.
I have kept several wormeries over the years; the last one I started about a year ago and is going strong.
One disadvantage of an aquarium as a wormery is that it does not drain. One can make it work by there are better containers.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'll dig up a few worms as a treat for my fish every now and then and I'll simply give em a quick rinse in a bucket of water that I have for my potted plants.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
You don't need to do anything to feed the worms to your fish than to drop them in or break them up to make them smaller, depending on the fish that is going to eat them.

I culture red wiggler worms (AKA composting worms) and also collect worms from my driveway when it rains. Earthworms are more challenging to culture than wigglers.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Do you just want a place to keep them temporarily (short term), or do you want to have a wormery? (a place where they reproduce and become a constant source)?
If the former, you don't need anything else.
If the latter, then you would need to set up better growth media, feed them, and allow them to reproduce. Common earthworms from the garden include at least 3 species, and they are different than the earthworms used as 'compost worms'. Compost worms are smaller, reproduce much faster, and the wormery needs to be fed regularly, as well as "maintained' (media replenished, humidity conditions controlled, 'waste' removed). Compost worms are also liked better by smaller fish.
I have kept several wormeries over the years; the last one I started about a year ago and is going strong.
One disadvantage of an aquarium as a wormery is that it does not drain. One can make it work by there are better containers.
If possible definitely a wormery...I wasn't aware that it would need media but that makes sense. Cleaning etc I'd need some research and help on this topic. I suppose with how easy it was to catch worms I can always catch and feed for a week and keep going. Until winter strike hahaha 🤣

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
You don't need to do anything to feed the worms to your fish than to drop them in or break them up to make them smaller, depending on the fish that is going to eat them.

I culture red wiggler worms (AKA composting worms) and also collect worms from my driveway when it rains. Earthworms are more challenging to culture than wigglers.
I'll get a picture to see what I caught. Can't tell from looking online. But good to know I can rinse it and feed away.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'll get a picture to see what I caught. Can't tell from looking online. But good to know I can rinse it and feed away.
Yep,I don't like any dirt or soil that might be clinging to the worms getting into the tank,eventhough they seem contain a good bit of it inside of their gut lol.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area

Pic any thoughts on identification?

1000030724.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store