Bay Snook Red eating their eggs

Nitmer

Feeder Fish
Apr 23, 2024
Hi, I had two Bay Snook Red which recently bred but they are eating their egg. It's been few hours since they laid egg. There was one bristlenose in the tank which I took out after suspecting it was eating egg and making snooks thing their egg are in danger. I think that's the reason why they are eating their egg but, what can I do with the eggs? Should take parents out? I have plenty of spare tanks. Or should I incubate egg(And how?)?

20240423_171945.jpg

20240423_171939.jpg

20240423_171826.jpg

20240423_171802.jpg

20240423_171755.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, I had two Bay Snook Red which recently bred but they are eating their egg. It's been few hours since they laid egg. There was one bristlenose in the tank which I took out after suspecting it was eating egg and making snooks thing their egg are in danger. I think that's the reason why they are eating their egg but, what can I do with the eggs? Should take parents out? I have plenty of spare tanks. Or should I incubate egg(And how?)?

View attachment 1540745

View attachment 1540746

View attachment 1540747

View attachment 1540748

View attachment 1540749
Congrats! Is this the parents first time spawning?

Reactions: koltsixx

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
First of all, congrats. You got the hardest part done. As for how to proceed it depends on what you want and how desperate you are for fry now. If the experience of watching them raise fry is important, I would think they will figure it out in a few tries. Every time I spawn something new, I am concerned it will be their last spawn. That has only been true for me twice. Cichlids usually turn into fry making machines once they get started.

If you really want fry now, then I would pull the parents and put methylene blue in the tank with an air stone. When I breed something, I want to hatch out I let the tank build up some algae then put a clean slate in so that is the cleanest spot they can put the eggs on. Then I can pull the slates and hatch them out wherever is convenient for me. You also get more spawns this way as they keep putting energy into making more eggs. Regardless getting that big bushynose out was the right call.

Reactions: koltsixx

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One other thing you might want to consider, that with that pleco in the tank, the Petenia might figure its better to eat the eggs themselves, rather than feed them to another fish (such as a pleco), which might be likely because Plecos are nocturnal feeders.
And ......as said above, you will need plenty of algae once fry hatch, for them to graze on, between feedings of Artemis, and your pleco is probably eating it.
I like my cichlid fry tanks, to have good crops of algae (no matter what species)
https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...s7bb7df70.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds, if your tank is algae free, fry often starve,https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...ghres/011.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds

Reactions: tlindsey

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
They'll get the hang of it . Agree with removing the pleco and maybe adding another cichlid behind a divider. Sometimes that helps the parental bond.

Oddly enough, red snooks used to be Petsmart common but have largely disappeared in the hobby (at least in the US). Would be great to see them around!

Matt

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Oddly enough, red snooks used to be Petsmart common but have largely disappeared in the hobby (at least in the US). Would be great to see them around!
This is true. The farms that used to produce them in big numbers had to move on to raise other things that paid better. It is hard raising a fish that gets that big and lives that long. After a few years everyone who wanted one has one. 4 years after they move on to produce something else everyone says, "I miss that fish". There are still some green bay snook cichlids around. Maybe N Nitmer will bring the reds back to prominence.

Nitmer

Feeder Fish
Apr 23, 2024
Sorry to disappoint y'all cause snook ate all the eggs T-T. I think the bristlenose triggerd the feat and they started eating egg and didn't stop even after I took it out. I had clz so I couldn't see what happened next day but the third day when I was there, there were no eggs. Thats that but I'll try to breed them again. In any case if the parents try to eat the eggs again, should I take eggs out and put it in incubator or what should I do?

Nitmer

Feeder Fish
Apr 23, 2024
First of all, congrats. You got the hardest part done. As for how to proceed it depends on what you want and how desperate you are for fry now. If the experience of watching them raise fry is important, I would think they will figure it out in a few tries. Every time I spawn something new, I am concerned it will be their last spawn. That has only been true for me twice. Cichlids usually turn into fry making machines once they get started.

If you really want fry now, then I would pull the parents and put methylene blue in the tank with an air stone. When I breed something, I want to hatch out I let the tank build up some algae then put a clean slate in so that is the cleanest spot they can put the eggs on. Then I can pull the slates and hatch them out wherever is convenient for me. You also get more spawns this way as they keep putting energy into making more eggs. Regardless getting that big bushynose out was the right call.
Thanks I was planning to do same but couldn't do it but I'll try my best if they do again.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store