Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Folks,
Does Ich come in colours other than bright-white? This looks like Ich, but is beigh/light brown.
Very small clown pleco (~1.5cm) that, one of two that came from importer one on Tuesday/Wednesday (3~4days ago)
Tank-mades: 6x cardinal tetras, 2x tiny rams & one big beta, + ramshorn, bladder & small mystery snails, ostracods & scuds.

1) this spots/condition came on since this AM, IE I didn't notice it this AM. The spots seemed "messier" ~3 hours ago, but are quite discrete now.
2) Seems like discrete points, and seems to be itchy as anal fins are wiggling.
3) Tank (15gal) has quite a bit of flow, and quite a bit of fine leaf/timber sediment as there's no particulate filtration, just weekly 80% water-changes with rainwater.
So, touch-wood this is just muck stuck in it's spines.
4) Bought two of these ~10days ago, reputable importer/source. The other in another tank does not have this condition.
5) This fellow in a tank with very healthy(?) cardinal tetras, theoretically the breeding tank, but not terribly serious about it.
6) this fish was eating (chewing on bamboo) yesterday. I don't remember seeing this condition this morning (5PM now)
~ I've added salt & a goopy chunk of aloe.

IMG_6582.jpg

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Added what felt like a lot of salt, as online advise was suggesting a tablespoon per gallon(!!?!). I don't think I got that far as I'd never used more than a few pinches before & chickened-out at about half.
Also added a whole lot of the native Indian-almond leaf - same genus, nearly identical though wrong side of the world.

Spots/muck seems(?) to be clearing somewhat, maybe better than half-way, but fish not looking good:
At what point do I change water, noting that the water was changed ~90% rainwater less-than a week ago. Or do I let everybody soak in the salt for another day or three?

Food options? There's bamboo segments & leaves & now almond leaves + a bit of sinking kibble, but what else to try if there aren't string-beans in the fridge & the shop's not nearby? Another softer legume pod or dry/soak&rinsed kidney bean?

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
As far as I know Ich will only present itself as pure white uniform round small dots, like salt crystals, on the fish's skin and rarely the eyes. This is due to the lifecycle of the parasite so it's generally not possible for ich to present outside of what I previously described. Are you sure what you see is ich and not just a secondary bacterial infection on the skin?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like ich. I’d change the water atleast weekly. Check ur water parameters if the nitrates are above 20ppm then change the water. I’d feed if the fish show an appetite. Keep the salt going till the spots disappear. Up the heater temp to 86 and make sure there’s some current.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store