Betta nest "coaxing"

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Sage folk,
Is there a way to coax a male to make a nest?
I've got him in a 3gal low tray with floating plants, and periodically drain-add 50% water from the tank where the two girls are.
He'll do a half-assed nest, then give-up by lunchtime.

When I add a girl he gets beat-up; they're both bigger than him. He may need to mature/grow.
Fed on pellets, ostracods/scuds & mozzie larvae, and he nibbles on the duckweed. Girls get about the same.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Funny, but sorry, Andy, can't help you as this is way outside of my experience.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Not exactly a MONSTER species, I suppose.
In re-reading the usual pages I see that the boy is supposed to SEE the girl, not just smell her (in the water), so I'll have to cut a plexi partition. I've not much experience either, but have also never known a male that didn't build & maintain a nest even when on his own for months~years. So it goes, he likely needs to mature.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Alexandboi

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2019
Male being smaller than female often times do not work out. I've always fasted females for 2 days before adding her to the spawning tank. She'll be fine if she was conditioned well. Helps reduce her girth in preparation for spawning. Males don't always build a nest. I've always released the female after 24 hours whether the male built a nest or not. Sometimes they don't build until they are spawning. Sometimes not until after. Even had some males not build a nest. Just a few bubbles and clump of eggs.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Would suggest he likely needs to mature if he is substantially smaller than the girls. That said I have had best results when the female was in the same tank but partitioned 50/50 with finer egg crate. If the plants are not too dense just remember to provide lots of places (pipes, rocks, caves- anything out of sight) for her to retreat to afterwards (if you don’t want to be immediately getting your net in and disturbing everything).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store