Bichir setup questions

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I didn’t have a lid at the time due to the fact the tank I have didn’t come with a lid, had to make my own, so for the first week or two I had no lid and he jumped out during the night, found him at some point in the morning in a box, he was totally fine though.

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
I am in an animal science program and my teacher said that I really only need to have the tank running for 4 to 5 days before putting the fish in, but the people at the pet store said that I should wait 4-5 weeks before putting the fish in. What do you all recommend?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
only need to have the tank running for 4 to 5 days before putting the fish in,
If you had a seeded biomedia aka cycled beneficial bacteria yes.
should wait 4-5 weeks before putting the fish in. What do you all recommend?
Yes true but you will have to cycle your aquarium with the fish in cycle or some use raw shrimp. A test kit will be a must to have at this time.

Reactions: graylizard

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
I also, after looking through my supplies, realized that I never got a heater. Is there any heaters that you all recommend?

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
If you had a seeded biomedia aka cycled beneficial bacteria yes.

Yes true but you will have to cycle your aquarium with the fish in cycle or some use raw shrimp. A test kit will be a must to have at this time.
So do I need to cycle the tank for 5 days or 5 weeks? Also where do I get beneficial bacteria?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So do I need to cycle the tank for 5 days or 5 weeks? Also where do I get beneficial bacteria?
Do you have a aquarium thats setup and running? If so you could take out a small bit of biomedia from it to jumpstart a Nitrifying cycle. I'm shocked the lfs didn't tell you anything about cycling a aquarium. Starting a new cycle will take around 5-6 weeks to complete cycle.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store