Bichir Tank Setups

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! If y'all wouldn't mind, could you post pictures of your bichir tank setups? (LIke decor, filtration, etc.) I'm trying to figure out how to set up my soon-to-be bichir tank, and I really want some help and inspiration.

Also to clarify: I won't copy anyone's look. If I like something from another tank and want it for my tank, I will just take the ideas from various setups that I like, and turn them into my own look.

Thank you in advance!

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Here are some ideas I would have planned:

1) leave the middle part empty with sand and small stones, while two islands of spiderwood at the sides of the tank, with rocks inbetween the roots and twigs. Add easygoing plants to the driftwood like anubias nanas would be nice.

2) centre island wood piece like a trunk, with rocks inbetween and at the corners of the tank. Sand and small pebbles, lavastones.

3) one large piece of driftwood in the middle, with river rocks or seriyuu stones at the sides of the wood. Can be planted with Java/ Christmas moss for a more natural look

4) easiest of all, no wood just river rocks, makes more space for the fish to swim and easier to clean.

All of the tanks would be more natural and suitable environment for butterfly fish and bichirs of Blackwater as well, you just need to add almond leaves to release the tannins. Hope this helps

IMG_6583.jpeg

IMG_6584.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Here are some ideas I would have planned:

1) leave the middle part empty with sand and small stones, while two islands of spiderwood at the sides of the tank, with rocks inbetween the roots and twigs. Add easygoing plants to the driftwood like anubias nanas would be nice.

2) centre island wood piece like a trunk, with rocks inbetween and at the corners of the tank. Sand and small pebbles, lavastones.

3) one large piece of driftwood in the middle, with river rocks or seriyuu stones at the sides of the wood. Can be planted with Java/ Christmas moss for a more natural look

4) easiest of all, no wood just river rocks, makes more space for the fish to swim and easier to clean.

All of the tanks would be more natural and suitable environment for butterfly fish and bichirs of Blackwater as well, you just need to add almond leaves to release the tannins. Hope this helps

View attachment 1529400

View attachment 1529401
Thank you, Caveden@! I will use these and see which setup I like the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store