Blasting sand from tractor supply?

Heymikki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2021
I’m getting back into rays after a 15 or so year hiatus. I used to use pool filter sand with rays as it was cheap and looked nice. Unfortunately pool filter sand doesn’t come in black. Has anybody had success with rays on the blasting sand that tractor supply uses? Seems like another cheap option that I like the look of better than pool sand.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’m getting back into rays after a 15 or so year hiatus. I used to use pool filter sand with rays as it was cheap and looked nice. Unfortunately pool filter sand doesn’t come in black. Has anybody had success with rays on the blasting sand that tractor supply uses? Seems like another cheap option that I like the look of better than pool sand.
Welcome.aboard
Most of the threads here states there is metal material in blasting sand.

RaynBerry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2023
Pool filter sand has its charm, but I get the itch for something different. Blasting sand from Tractor Supply could be a cool alternative – it's affordable and has that sleek black look you're after. I've heard success stories with rays on this substrate, but it's always wise to test a small batch first to ensure it suits your rays' preferences.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

RaynBerry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2023
Pool filter sand has its charm, but I get the itch for something different. Blasting sand from Tractor Supply could be a cool alternative – it's affordable and has that sleek black look you're after. I've heard success stories with rays on this substrate, but it's always wise to test a small batch first to ensure it suits your rays' preferences.
Speaking of trying new things, if you need any equipment or tools for your aquarium setup, check out https://www.machinerydealer.co.uk. They have a variety of options that might come in handy for your revived ray tank.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Welcome.aboard
Most of the threads here states there is metal material in blasting sand.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same product, but there is/was a black blasting "sand" sold by that chain that actually consisted of metal slag, a waste product from smelting. Some people loved the stuff and used it for years without complaint; others, like a friend who tried it many years ago, reported an oily film developing on the water surface along with an odd chemical smell.

I don't know if there was some difference between one batch and the next...it is, after all, a waste product and not specifically manufactured for its own sake...or if the people who liked it simply had tanks so disgusting that a film and smell went unnoticed. :)

I saw his tank first-hand right after he installed the black sand; no way I would ever consider using that stuff. I wonder if our bot will take a break from garden equipment sales and weigh in again?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have used black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply for years now and can’t see that it has any detrimental effects.
I have never tried with rays though.
It works fine for plecos, corydoras, all kinds of cichlids including Geos. Iwas concerned with the sand sifters at first but I see no problem so far.
I’ve even kept horse face loaches that like to bury themselves in it.
But like I say I can’t comment on how rays will do.

Americancichlidsaredabest

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Like BIG-G BIG-G Said it works for cichlids and I use it for my bichirs as well but I can’t comment on rays. I love that sand as it makes my cichlids color pop and I’ve never had any issues with it.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store