Bought a used FX6 canister filter and it's leaking

steeveooo1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2023
Well those are pretty expensive I just bought some off of eBay for 10 bucks plus $5 shipping. They're white
idk how many were included in your purchase but im just vouching form my experience that the link i sent has been A1 quality and less of a pain in the ass to fasten/tighten when maintenance. if it was $15 for the price of one fastner/white knob, IMO it wouldve been better to just get the link 6 for $30 but to each their own. Hopefully what you ordered does the trick for you tho cause i hated when my **** was leaking.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
idk how many were included in your purchase but im just vouching form my experience that the link i sent has been A1 quality and less of a pain in the ass to fasten/tighten when maintenance. if it was $15 for the price of one fastner/white knob, IMO it wouldve been better to just get the link 6 for $30 but to each their own. Hopefully what you ordered does the trick for you tho cause i hated when my **** was leaking.
By the way do you ever replace your o-rings? I'll save your link in case something messes up with one of my FX6s since I have two now

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
The problem is the little barrel at the bottom on the bolt. Over time they start to split and then the whole knob becomes useless.
View attachment 1538928

You do not need to buy an entire knob assembly. You can order just the barrels.

Here is an example, not saying this is the best priced just showing that they can be purchased separately and repaired: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2852289723...18XhZrJKpqnK5PLmNQha6JgEH1831N1RoCuKQQAvD_BwE

Or another option is to look up the file and have someone 3d print them for you. This is what I ended up doing. My brother had a printer for his modeling hobby and I found a file and he printed some out for me.
View attachment 1538929

New ones installed:
View attachment 1538930
I believe I ended up ordering exactly from the same eBay seller you linked

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You probably need to replace the o-ring on the valve also next time you clean the filter. I always replace o-rings and seals on used equipment of unknown sellers for just this reason.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
You probably need to replace the o-ring on the valve also next time you clean the filter. I always replace o-rings and seals on used equipment of unknown sellers for just this reason.
Do you know how many o-rings and seals I need to replace? I'd rather replace everything than just some stuff. Hoping I can find like a kit or something online

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Check out Fluval's website either for parts available or for the owner's manual with the exploded view parts list.

They do have a service kit for the FX6 FX6 service kit though it also includes the impeller assy but if all you need are the o-ring, it lists the part numbers under what's included. I didn't see a part number for the drain/service valve 0-ring on the bottom of the canister.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Check out Fluval's website either for parts available or for the owner's manual with the exploded view parts list.

They do have a service kit for the FX6 FX6 service kit though it also includes the impeller assy but if all you need are the o-ring, it lists the part numbers under what's included. I didn't see a part number for the drain/service valve 0-ring on the bottom of the canister.
On it thanks!

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
These are some good information threads:

If its the valve itself, you might be able to lube it like the top aquastop valve, see this one too:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store