Brackish Pool

rbwno1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2008
florida
youtube.com
Been around a while but never post anything. My last great project was 2 years ago when I attempted to recreate a mangrove environment in my backyard. I basically built a pond with mangrove trees, brackish plants and fish. I moved and now I am working on a pool converted to yard tank so I can swim with my fish and spend all day snorkeling while watching them. I live in Florida inland so this is difficult but not impossible (my fish are tropical African, Asian, Central American, and FL residents).

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
Nice! I aspire to a bracish tank, and you will be incredibly helpful on our forum. WELCOME!

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Hi! Welcome to MFK!

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
welcome to MFK..... hope you still have some old pics of the brackish pond.. love to see them.. and also all the new things to come.. nice to meet you... hope you enjoy MFK .. the way i do... great info and lots of pics.. and awesome fishkeepers... enjoy:D

rbwno1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2008
florida
youtube.com
Heat stress is killing my fish. I have tested all other parameters (salinity, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH,etc) and everything is fine except for a scorching temp of 92-94F in the early afternoon. My pool is under an oak but still gets lots of direct sunlight from 1pm to 6pm. Have mangrove plants so need sunlight reaching pond. Thinking of putting reflector around side of pool and some time of cover that will filter light *like a black mesh I see my neighbors using over their ponds. Any suggestions?

rbwno1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2008
florida
youtube.com
Been around a while but never post anything. My last great project was 2 years ago when I attempted to recreate a mangrove environment in my backyard. I basically built a pond with mangrove trees, brackish plants and fish. I moved and now I am working on a pool converted to yard tank so I can swim with my fish and spend all day snorkeling while watching them. I live in Florida inland so this is difficult but not impossible (my fish are tropical African, Asian, Central American, and FL residents).
Newer brackish pond with 2 diamondback terrapins. 7ppt salinity, pH 7.5, temp. 78-83. Plants- lilies, hornwort, duckweed, guppy grass, Java moss, java fern, anubias, crinum, purple flag iris, pandanus palm, milkweed, giant leather fern, black, red, and white mangroves

20220626_104048.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

rbwno1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2008
florida
youtube.com
Early beginnings of the above-ground low salinity (5-9 ppt) brackish pond. Fish include both mono species (Asian and African), all scats (silver, green ,red, African), silver datnoid, NGT, fine-scale datnoid, African mudskipper, Toxotes jaculatrix, green chromides, orange chromides, black-belt cichlid, Ptychochromis grandidieri, shark cats, tiger moray eels, snowflake eels, damba, giant Yucatan sailfin mollies, and gambusia. Might be missing a few fish like my fig. 8 and spotted puffers, butterfly gobies, flounder, and Asian leaf fish (Nandus nandus). I have setup that allow me to separate fish and have plant grow areas. I might add pipefish (separate container adjacent to pond) to these quiet areas and crazy fish (Butis butis) and four-eyed fish.

20200523_175834.jpg

20200524_160606.jpg

20220512_124341.jpg

Reactions: neko1 and kno4te

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
damn im so jealous... those fish are awesome. Can you get some pictures of the mudskippers?

And how are the turtles doing with the morays? they dont seem them as worms?

Reactions: rbwno1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store