Breeding anacharis?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
I hear that anacharis is about the hardiest easiest-to-keep aquarium plant you can get. What's its reproduction rate like, and how many juvenile plants can be expected to be produced? Does it require special conditions, like heavy lighting, for optimal growth and reproduction?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
piranha45 said:
I hear that anacharis is about the hardiest easiest-to-keep aquarium plant you can get. What's its reproduction rate like, and how many juvenile plants can be expected to be produced? Does it require special conditions, like heavy lighting, for optimal growth and reproduction?
Tis is something I have grown lots of. My best results were in softer, slightly acid tanks that I used as grow out tanks for angels and small tetras, etc. Just let the tank get well established with somewhat mulmy fine gravel bottom, old water and full spectum lighting for +/- 12hrs ea. day. If you plant heavily enough and watch for nitrate spikes you don't need many water changes because you are exopting nitrogen products every time you harvest. 2" a day isn't unuasual, sometimes more. If it get spindly you need better lighting or more small fish. It doesn't send out runner like amazon sword but instead just get longer ang has obvious growth ends and offshoots. For best trade materials harvest the new growth areas. The older stock will just start growing again. I took at least a dozen bunches out of a 55g twice a week to trade for feeders,etc. No apple snails, Japanese reds, Plecos, or other veggie munchers. I like starting small loose bunches by wieghting them and rooting them in the gravel but they will do fine free floatingeven I they lose some of thier directional orientation.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
duuuude, awesome! that IS extreme growth. Do typical shop lights offer full spectrum lighting, or something close enough to it?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
No on the shop lights, Agualux incandescants or coated flourescants work best. Try your lfs, you will probably save money if you shop at a plant nursery.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store