building a 1000 gal concrete block monster tank

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
Well, since I have the first and most important part of the tank, I figured I'd start this thread. I've been snooping around here for a while now asking questions, and thanks to all those who answered and helped. Below is the glass and the final design. If all goes well, I'll get the concrete, CMU's and framing next weekend. I have 10 days off over Christmas and I was hoping to get pretty far with it during that time.

The glass guy said he's not going to do anything with the other pieces, and if I want them he'll deliver them for me. They're bigger than this piece. I think they're 110"x39.5"x1"thck and 111"x39.5"x1"thck. They weight almost 300 lbs. It's 2 pieces of 1/2" laminated. I think it gives me some redundancy. If one piece fails, there's a membrane and another piece to back it up. So a failure wouldn't result in a catastrophy. Only thing is, it's tinted. Oh well. It's free right?

I'll post more once I get the block.

here's the design:

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
nice.... i can't wait to see this thing up and running. what kinda monsters are you gonna put in there?

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
I'm torn. The purpose is for a silver aro comm and I wanted to do discus and aros. I've seen them together before, and it should work if the aros grow up with the disucs. BUT. I've got a clown knife that I want in there, which destroys the amazon theme, so then it's up in the air. Then there's an rtc I want to get off another mfk member, so I'll have just a mix I think.

Maybe 3 silver aros, ck and an rtc. Might be it, might not. That's still a ways off.

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
Fantastic project.
Make a step by step topic in the Article Forum once it is done.

Keep the updates coming :)

And i suggest a sole Amazon theme, mix and matching does not have the same appeal personally.

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
That's going to be a nice tank. I can't wait to see it finished. I'm interested in the filtration plan as well. I also vote for a SA community, but it will be impressive either way. Were you planning on building a cover or something to keep the aros from jumping? Good luck with everything.

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
Sexy design there! Where is the filtration?
I'm interested in the filtration plan as well. I also vote for a SA community, but it will be impressive either way. Were you planning on building a cover or something to keep the aros from jumping? Good luck with everything.
that sketch is only partial. I didn't go all the way with it yet. The filtration is a 100 gal overhead W/D fed by 2 500gph pumps (1 in each corner) and another 500gph for circulation via UGJ's. It'll also have a continuous water exchanger. I'm building the inline R/O to feed the tank using parts. It will have tight fitting acrylic covers.

I'll post another design pic with more details later.

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
hmm very interesting dont think i've seen blocks used before whats the plan on the reinforcement for the structure that is a lot of pressure per sq inch for just morter..
really am liking it thinking of something for myself like this..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store