BUTIS BUTIS

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Hi, i am considering buying BUTIS BUTIS. but it would be ONLY in a freshwater aquarium. Is it possible for good long term health of that fish or not.thanks for advice.

Reactions: Hybridfish7

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
They can be kept fine in fresh for their whole life, but if they are caught in brackish, brackish is best. (Most caught in AUS/PNG are fresh) They are basically bulletproof besides that and:
The only hard thing is they only really take live foods. It is an absolute pain in the back to get them to dry foods.

Reactions: latapy10

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Had a Butis for some time; was collected from fresh fairly far inland, if what I was told was correct. The fish actually seemed to take frozen really well (with finely chopped silversides, bloodworms, chopped earthworms being taken with gusto). Never tried converting the fish to pellets, although I do think it might be doable. However, it developed a very serious fungal infection long after I originally got him that it could not recover from and eventually passed. The water parameters were good(pH of 6.7, nitrite & ammonia 0, nitrate ~10-15) and the tank was a stable one that I once used to grow out apisto fry. Not sure why it died; my only guess is that it does fare better in brackish long-term, especially as they get older. Very endearing fish, though; learned to recognize me as a provider of food and would occasionally glass-surf when I was nearby. It would also occasionally sit upside down, directly parallel to the surface of the water in the middle of the water column. Highly recommend if you have the opportunity to get one.

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Had a Butis for some time; was collected from fresh fairly far inland, if what I was told was correct. The fish actually seemed to take frozen really well (with finely chopped silversides, bloodworms, chopped earthworms being taken with gusto). Never tried converting the fish to pellets, although I do think it might be doable. However, it developed a very serious fungal infection long after I originally got him that it could not recover from and eventually passed. The water parameters were good(pH of 6.7, nitrite & ammonia 0, nitrate ~10-15) and the tank was a stable one that I once used to grow out apisto fry. Not sure why it died; my only guess is that it does fare better in brackish long-term, especially as they get older. Very endearing fish, though; learned to recognize me as a provider of food and would occasionally glass-surf when I was nearby. It would also occasionally sit upside down, directly parallel to the surface of the water in the middle of the water column. Highly recommend if you have the opportunity to get one.
How long did it live in your freshwater tank.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
How long did it live in your freshwater tank.
More than a year; perhaps 1yr 8mos? I actually kept them twice, the second individual was a little smaller than the first and died after a few months under my care, though I later discovered that the tank I was housing the second fish in had paver sand mixed into the substrate and attributed its death to this.

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
More than a year; perhaps 1yr 8mos? I actually kept them twice, the second individual was a little smaller than the first and died after a few months under my care, though I later discovered that the tank I was housing the second fish in had paver sand mixed into the substrate and attributed its death to this.
Almost two years this fish in freshwater not bad.Thanks,it seems to be high level to mantain this fish in freshwater tank for longer period.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store