Buttikoferi and Central Americans

sauroid

Candiru
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
somewhere in asia
in my experience buttis are impossible to keep in a community even with other buttis. they are the meanest cichlids ever from anywhere. they are usually kept isolated in their own tank til they die. they are beautiful though. their stripes are perfect. i think they should be called CONVICTS, not the other convict. maximum security.

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
I haven't personally seen anyone keep a large male Butt with anything...I have seen smaller specimens in tanks with larger Centrals, but I have never seen them successfully mixed with anything. I think Sauroid is on to something here..we should just call them 'Giant Convicts'.

Fossochromis rostratus is a large Malawi Hap. You really have to see an adult male if full color to really appreciate it. Highly irridescent - rather spectacular looking. I will probably buy another one again, but I am definitely going to wait until my Centrals grow out quite a bit more, if nothing else just to avoid getting 'scarred up' by such a persistent and lively fish.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
these pics are not mine. These fish were in a 500g tank.

The butti was ~14" TL, the dovii ~20" TL. The dovii ruled the tank with an iron fin. One day, the dovii got tired of the butti. And he got tired of a couple of smaller parachromis species too, now that I think of it.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
you dont have a butti anymore, you just ****ing killed it you heartless *****. uhatefishies is more like it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store