Can i keep pleco with piranha

ADi_00P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2012
England
In my shop I had a shoal of 6 rbp about 5-6" with plecs no problem, then sold these fish and replaced them with 8 piranhas about 2" or so and they nipped the plecs until I had to move them. I think it's just hit and miss really

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sincebeen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Michigan
I had 6 RBP and 3 common plecos that grew up together in my 30, and eventually in my 125. In the end the 5 remaining piranha were about 7 inches and the two remaining original pleco were about 5 inches.

I added two ~5 inch pleco when the piranha were about 8 months old. I read somewhere to keep the lights off for a couple of days after introducing them, and it worked for me.

The key, aside from keeping everyone well fed, was having caves/areas for the pleco that were inaccessible to the RBP. I think it also obviously helped that they grew up together.

Also, the new pleco should not be smaller in length than the piranha.

IMO plecos are the best tank companions for RBP because they are the only fish that have armor AND serve a purpose as glass cleaners.

sincebeen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Michigan
This worked out to be the plecos favorite spot. Even the new plecos I have hide in there. It's a flat-bottomed sandstone propped up on one side with other stones. You just have to make sure the cave is big enough for the entire pleco, or two, to fit.

hiding spot.png

They won't stay in there all the time; mine usually free roam for most of the night, and sometimes cruise around during the day. But this large safety zone will serve as a retreat when the piranha get crazy.

hiding spot.png

ger89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2013
Ireland
keep them well fed i've got away with 2 common pleco's with my 7 rbps but there only 6 inchs now have them since 1 inch

Bobtastic6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
United States
How i had success was buying a 8" pleco, introducing him in the tank alone and letting him get settled in. I then bought 8 RBP at about 1.5". The way i look at it the RBP were smaller than him for long enough, they never considered him a threat/prey even when grown up.

If you play it like this, have enough space for everyone, and make sure there is never competition for food, you should be ok.

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
If you value your pleco and don't want it to become a potential food source then i would say no, not a good idea.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Where did this thread get transferred from? You can tell it didn't start here based on who's responding. Looks like general aquaria

The one thing missing is why would you want to add one of those poop machines in the first place? The cons far outweight the pros

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store