Can someone ID my puffer?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
If I'm not mistaken, there is actually a family of puffers that are considered to be the 'Fugu' puffers. However, in the Orient this is the common name for almost ALL species of puffer.. My first guess would of also been a puffer in relation to the Takifugu or other 'Fugu' puffs.

I doubt it is from South America. Only 2 species reside from S.A., unless you somehow obtained an undiscovered species (very unlikely), or acquired the very rare hardly ever seen C. Psittacus.. AKA, Banded Parrot Puffer. These guys get about 12" and have a worse temprament than Fahakas from what I have read. THey come from a remote part of Venezuala, and haven't been in the trade for years.

It could also be a lake fahaka with a blotchy pattern? They are suppose to say smaller and are less aggressive, which would support the notion of him being peaceful towards tankmates..

Tough to say! And I thought I was somewhat of a puffer expert, because I can ID almost all the species, but I have NEVER seen this species!

Whatever it is, IT's AWESOME!!
(Ps. Let me know when you want to sell it to me :))

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Well he ate the tail off of an arowana I had, he bit a ray, he bites and latches on to my arm when I service the tank. He is not a peaceful fish at all. But he is my buddy. I figure he is about 9-10 inches long.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
rottbo said:
ok fugu is just another word for puffer as far as i know there is no such thing as a "fugu puffer" because they are all fugu puffers i think that lfs just call them this to make them sound more desireable
Fugu puffer (Fugu orbimaculatus)
other "fugus" are any of the Takifugu genus (22)
Except for the size the one that matches most closely is one I can't find a picture of, it has a standard length recorded as slightly over 6" so it could be 8" total length max. Fresh water but not well known. It is the Cambodian puffer (Tetraodon cambodgiensis) at this link. http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=60220 None of the other fresh/brackish puffers seem to match very well but I might have missed a couple.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
I have searched hundreds of links and photos and cant find one that matches for size or color pattern or even temperment.

rottbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
West Des Moines, Ia
guppy said:
Fugu puffer (Fugu orbimaculatus)
other "fugus" are any of the Takifugu genus (22)
Except for the size the one that matches most closely is one I can't find a picture of, it has a standard length recorded as slightly over 6" so it could be 8" total length max. Fresh water but not well known. It is the Cambodian puffer (Tetraodon cambodgiensis) at this link. http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=60220 None of the other fresh/brackish puffers seem to match very well but I might have missed a couple.
i guess i am wrong i just know that alot of lfs sell puffers as fugu's if they dont really know what they are i have seen this happen many times

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store