Can someone tell me which cichlid this is?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
A lot of the CA cichlids look the same as juveniles. In a mixed bag, it could be anything.
That said, if I’m not mistaken trimaculatus is the only one with red eyes, so could likely be one of them (or a hybrid of one).

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
As Deadeye Deadeye said a lot of CA juvie cichlids can look similar but I'd guess Amphilophus Lyonsi which like Trimaculatus also has red eyes. Both have spot lines along their lateral line but Tri's have a spot on their head above their gills. Though as a juvie perhaps it hasn't developed yet. If it starts killing all it's tankmates it's probably a Tri if it doesn't it a Lyonsi.😂

Loupie

Feeder Fish
Apr 23, 2024
Welcome to the forum!
A lot of the CA cichlids look the same as juveniles. In a mixed bag, it could be anything.
That said, if I’m not mistaken trimaculatus is the only one with red eyes, so could likely be one of them (or a hybrid of one).
As Deadeye Deadeye said a lot of CA juvie cichlids can look similar but I'd guess Amphilophus Lyonsi which like Trimaculatus also has red eyes. Both have spot lines along their lateral line but Tri's have a spot on their head above their gills. Though as a juvie perhaps it hasn't developed yet. If it starts killing all it's tankmates it's probably a Tri if it doesn't it a Lyonsi.😂
😂 Let's hope it's a Lyonsi then

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Every ca importer would be punching the air if it actually ended up being a lyonsi. I want to say it's just a generic baby unpeeled midevil but there's always the chance of it being a really low quality flowerhorn. More than likely the former. Trimac would start to show flowers at that point.

1000043936.png

Reactions: Loupie and koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Every ca importer would be punching the air if it actually ended up being a lyonsi. I want to say it's just a generic baby unpeeled midevil but there's always the chance of it being a really low quality flowerhorn. More than likely the former. Trimac would start to show flowers at that point.
Egads and gadzooks, you dare disagree with me?!? :banhim: :grinno: You're probably right, both Tri's and Lyonsi are unlikely. Guess I was projecting what I'd want it to be. It being a Mid would be a lot more likely.

I'm still rooting for you to get a Lyonsi though L Loupie :grinyes:

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Egads and gadzooks, you dare disagree with me?!? :banhim: :grinno: You're probably right, both Tri's and Lyonsi are unlikely. Guess I was projecting what I'd want it to be. It being a Mid would be a lot more likely.

I'm still rooting for you to get a Lyonsi though L Loupie :grinyes:
Whoops, I didn't read the first part, only saw the picture. The only person doing wholesale on fenestrata tmk is Dan. What else does Dan have? Nearly every amphilophus that has hit the market; including lyonsi, and he does randomly throw fish at his wholesale customers, I had to ID a rheoheros at a store in Tampa in January cuz they didn't know what it was either. By process of elimination and assuming what it is, it is probably like Kevin said, a lyonsi. I am not good on IDing baby amphilophus but the mouth does look pointier than the others, which I did notice in my lyonsi when I had them.

Had a similar mixup with the "myrnae" going around my local club. Septemfasciata from the limon population have been circulating around my club for nearly a decade as Rio Estrella myrnae. Both species look very similar, both were sold by Jeff Rapps in the early 2010s, and both I'm assuming, were bought by a guy in my club. Guy probably lost track of what was what, started selling them as myrnae. Thankfully for the most part they have stayed within the club to my knowledge, and have not been bred to actual myrnae from what I can see, but you can't expect everyone to be as nitpicky with details, and even then the ones who do slip up sometimes 😉

Reactions: koltsixx
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store