Can two female Dovii cohabit?

MetalhammerJimmy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2018
Hi, I have just acquired a female Dovii, about 7", and have her in a quarantine tank at the moment. I already have another female Dovii of similar size who is currently housed in with a group of six Spotted Metynnis and a large Common Pleco. In the short term, I was thinking of putting the new female in that tank which already has the other female Dovii. Could they cohabit, or is this just a bad idea? I have some other empty tanks, but they are used ones I picked up and I need to pull them apart and re-silicone them.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hi, I have just acquired a female Dovii, about 7", and have her in a quarantine tank at the moment. I already have another female Dovii of similar size who is currently housed in with a group of six Spotted Metynnis and a large Common Pleco. In the short term, I was thinking of putting the new female in that tank which already has the other female Dovii. Could they cohabit, or is this just a bad idea? I have some other empty tanks, but they are used ones I picked up and I need to pull them apart and re-silicone them.
It would be handy to know the size of the tank is?

In my experience with Parachromis, females hate each other as much as males hate each other. I have a male (22cm or 8.5inch) and 2 female (15cm or 6 inch) Parachromis Mutifasciatus (formally P. Friedrichsthalii) housed together in a 820L (215G aquarium), and the females go at each other a lot. They don't damage each other due to the tank size (plus I have other cichlid species in with them). I would also say you are severely disadvantaged due to the fact that one female has already established the tank as her territory.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

In my experience with Parachromis, females hate each other as much as males hate each other. I have a male (22cm or 8.5inch) and 2 female (15cm or 6 inch) Parachromis Mutifasciatus (formally P. Friedrichsthalii) housed together in a 820L (215G aquarium), and the females go at each other a lot. They don't damage each other due to the tank size (plus I have other cichlid species in with them). I would also say you are severely disadvantaged due to the fact that one female has already established the tank as her territory.
I agree with the above.
If you have a 300 gal (or larger) tank it might work, but anything smaller is doubtful.

MetalhammerJimmy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2018

Thanks so much for your reply! Yeah, that makes total sense. My original female is only in a 550 litre (145 gal) tank at the moment, so definitely not big enough for another. I'll keep the new female in the quarantine tank until I have another tank up and running for her. I have several other Parachromis all in separate tanks, and I hadn't tried to keep two females of a particular species together before.

Reactions: tlindsey

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Thanks so much for your reply! Yeah, that makes total sense. My original female is only in a 550 litre (145 gal) tank at the moment, so definitely not big enough for another. I'll keep the new female in the quarantine tank until I have another tank up and running for her. I have several other Parachromis all in separate tanks, and I hadn't tried to keep two females of a particular species together before.
If I'm not wrong , are you the same guy from Instagram who has a large blue male dovii named wolfie and has 3 tanks setup interconnected with a jag and 2 wolfs if I remember correctly.
And you do have a few large snakes too.
Am I right or am I right?

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
You've got it wrong my friend.

These are two different people
"LETS GET ON IT" Is Andy woods cichlids uk Andy woods cichlids uk .
He is M MetalhammerJimmy .
Two different people but have dovii named wolfie.
Andy has the dovii in pair, many other pairs of cichlids and doesn't keep snakes ( none that I know of)
Jimmy has a single solo dovii and is growing out the females to get them paired up, he also keeps snakes.
Both of them are great fishkeepers.
Daniel36 Daniel36

Reactions: Daniel36
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store