Can you keep pacu with common carp?

mybirthdateisfake

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2023
Indonesia
I've got somewhere around 15 pacu in my pond. I'm thinking about going to a local fishing place that has pacus, large catfish, and common carp (where I live all those fish and commonly eaten, that's why those fish were chosen to be placed at the fishing place). For this reason, I am asking if common carp are good tankmates for pacu.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
Though pacu are not as predatory as their piranha cousins, they will still eventually make a meal out of the carp. The only way I can see it working is with carp close to the size of the pacu.

Dragon1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2023
My pacu in the past was non aggressive but it's one of those thing where it could happen at some point.

mybirthdateisfake

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2023
Indonesia
the main variable here was not listed. we need to know the rough dimensions of said pond.
300-400 gallons, still calculating as this pond is just a pond in my house. Largest pacu are only 1ft long, smallest at around 10-15cm. When they get larger than 2ft I'll only keep one pacu and rehome the rest.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Whether it’s 1 pacu or 15, a pond that small is barely a puddle for the fish. By 2 feet, and that’s an absolute minimum size for them, you’d be looking at something in the thousands of gallons to give one enough space.

mybirthdateisfake

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2023
Indonesia
That's why I'm planning to rehome all the pacu. I didn't buy them, my dad's friend gave it to my family. For that 1 pacu I'm keeping, it's going to be keeping the smallest one, so that by the time it grew to around a foot, I would already have a bigger, more suitable home built.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store