Canister recommendations for 55-75 gallon tanks

Nathan P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I'll be moving soon and I want to take the opportunity to upgrade my tanks' filters. I have three similar-sized tanks - a 55 community, 65 community, and 75 sunfish tank - and I'd like to switch them all over to identical canister filters, just to keep things simple. All three tanks have moderate stock levels and no special flow requirements. I'm looking for reliable, effective, easy-to-maintain filters.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Your going to get a ton of different opinions on this. I myself run sunsun and Rena XP filters with no real issues over the years. If I had to pick one with no budget the XP is what I would use with the double the filteration

Reactions: Nathan P

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I have 2 sunsun/aquatop canisters and I am not currently using them. I didn't really like them that much because they show wear quickly and they are hard to clean. Right now i'm just using aquaclear HOBs on my 40s. I have heard good things about eheim canisters.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I have 2 sunsun/aquatop canisters and I am not currently using them. I didn't really like them that much because they show wear quickly and they are hard to clean. Right now i'm just using aquaclear HOBs on my 40s. I have heard good things about eheim canisters.
My eheims work really well considering that they are rated for smaller tanks than the one they're on. I would have bigger filters, but my Dad though he knew best about the aquarium. He ordered the filters assuming their rating was for the actual water volume and not the advertised volume. If two 2215's can keep up with a 210, I'm sure you could put one on each of your tanks. My 210 also has a 9" Pleco, so the filters work overtime. I can't say enough good about them.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I like the aqueons rated for a 55 gallon tank but I always add more filtratin than I need so I would put 3 in a 55

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would definitely recommend the SunSun filters. I have a 304B on my 29, but that's because I way over filter it. You could definitely use a 404B for a 55 or 75. If you have the money and don't mind spending the extra then I would say eheims and fluvals are probably better but for the money, I think SunSun filters are great.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
I am running 2 SunSun Canister filters on my Asian Arowana tank. So far so good. SunSun is reasonably cheaper compared to FluVal or EHeim. It does a good job and so far didn't face any issues.

I haven't used other canister filters, also I haven't faced any major issue cleaning / maintaining the SunSun canister filters which I am using. One is a HW304B with UV light and it has 4 trays, enough to hold good amount of various media. Cleaning done in 10-15 minutes and lo leakage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store